Building a new PC, need opinions...

AMD! AMD! AMD! From the billions and billions of AMD fans, AMD! AMD! AMD! AMD! AMD!

The only "men" buy Intels, are the ones who aren't "computer fags", and the ones who are , and us "children" that are "computer fags" buy the AMD's. Likewise, "children" that aren't computer fags buy Intels.

Also, don't say men and children, say adults and children, if there were any woman writing or reading the thread, they would feel offended.

:D "Anybody know where the Any Key button is!" lol, Just joking. :D

What shoud I take if I were you ?

Intel Pentium IV 1.6 --- 2.0 Ghz .
The best motherboard for P4 : Asus P4B266 2048/DDR PC 2100 = 186 $ here but my own suggestion is to take a motherboard with sound onboard for what you'll use that pc ... and a GF2 Pro TV OUT !

hovbuild...i just got done explaining that the ppl that were

From me:
I'm just going to say, to those P4 lovers out there, the reason why your getting so AGGRESSIVE and swearing and crying etc., is because you DON'T KNOW THE FACTS. Who cares if you read the hardware reviews, if you knew what a Floating Point Unit was, you would understand, also, if you read ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF THE ARTICLE you will see that, after all the tests and benchmarks, that it was deemed that NEITHER was the best processor in the world etc. etc. etc.

now, if you go back, and read all the posts, then you will see that the ppl that are cussing and crying are those P4 ppl...also, do you know what an FPU is??:D

i'll get back to you on the dual XP's spoon.

hahahaha You could be right but they know how to spell United States of America! I rest my case! LOL:rolleyes:

hovbuild

hovbuild ..... Guess you have never had a typo in your life.......

I have them all the time !! Why do you think they made spell checkers ???
:p
:D

Originally posted by Famine
hovbuild ..... Guess you have never had a typo in your life.......

I have them all the time !! Why do you think they made spell checkers ???
:p
:D
Waht are tou taklimg about?

Against AMD

Well, I hate to be a stick in the mud but I would go for Intel all the way. I bought myself a P4 1.6 Gig, and despite the "talk" and tests done comparing AMD and Intel, the possible difference is too marginal to mean anything at all. You are not going to be running a server, like you said you are building a computer to do mainly programming. I do programming (C/C++/Visual C++) myself with my P4 1.6 which I can say has served me well! Go for Intel. AMD is no better in my eyes, sorry guys who said to go for AMD ;)

Wow, I kind of figured this thread would have died out by now. The Intel-AMD fight is starting to sound like the PC-Mac fight(PC wins every time). Originally I was leaning toward the AMD, but the Intel is starting to sound better. I've always used Intel and have never had a single problem. From some of the articles posted it sounds like they run cooler and are more consistently stable. That's kind of what I'm looking for. Now I'll add a little more trouble to this. I am also looking to upgrade my machine(the other one isn't mine). I do 3D and 2D graphics, gaming, programming, etc. Want to fight over that one? Lata' y'all!

~GC

i'm sure we all now that the athlons are faster clocker for clock then the pentiums... so what if the intel peepz got a 2.2... once amd makes a 2.2 chip it will be faster then there 3 gig chip, so, be a numb nutz and pay twice as much for a pentium 4, with mediocre preformance, or go with amd and get proformance and hay, buy a g3 with the left over cash.
but really now, if your looking to make a work station, do you need a powerhouse, or just something to run xp and that can run word?

cause last time i checked, word and exel didn't need a 3d accelerator.

I agree, do what you want, if you can afford an intel, go for it. So you know though, an Intel is definitely not as stable as an AMD.

About this machine for YOU, get a nice board with the AMD chipset, or VIA...but for gaming, the Intel video cores suck. Also, I guarantee you that any AMD processor you buy that is genuine, will support 3DNow! and MMX. You have to make sure with Intel.

If you decide to go with AMD, and you have money and about 6 months or so, wait until the hammer comes out and get a board for it, it has onboard DDR controller and CPU-to-AGP bridge.

Good Boards:

MSI
Asus
Abit
Epox
Soyo
Elements

Any questions about hardware etc., let us know.

When I built my system, I could afford a Intel. But I went the AMD XP way. My friend on the other hand went the intel way.

Hey bought a P4 1.8 and I bought a XP 1800+ (1.53 gig).

He over clocked his to (2.0 gig) and I over clocked mine to (1.63).

Now, He paid about $200 more for his Intel them my XP.

I use his computer from time to time... I notice no difference.

One day we did a bench with sandra . My XP beat his Intel on all the tests but one. The memory. I have DDR 266 and he has Rambus...

Anyway... XP is the way to go........

:cool:

( sorry if there are any typ-o's )

all the stuff you guys are suggesting are great and all, but the dude said he wanted to make a programming/work computer. does work/internet require a powerhouse xp/p4 system? does yahoo.com need a geforce3? does running code realy on ddr ram? all that stuff is great, if he was gona need it, but it sounds like you don't need a $2000+ machine to email and do your taxes.

I have three computers. ONe of my computers I use for programming in VB6 and VC6. With the three computers I have and their parts I put together this one for my programming and such:

Abit BX133-RAID
Intel PIII 800 (o'clocked)
512 Megs PC133
Plextor 12/4/32 CD-RW
52x CDrom
2 Quantum 20g 7200rpm (RAID 0)
Matrox G400
SBlive MP3+
Klipsch 4.1 (connected to all three of the computers)
Windows XP Pro (DO)
Antec Case
4 Fans (120, 2x92, 80)
The raid is a little excessive for just programming and such...but I had two of the same already with the Abit MOBO so I just left them in there.

It does well for what I need. I use it for Visual Studio 6 sp5 and email and a little Inet.

Hope it helps...

HaxCode

Originally posted by Caligo
Wow, I kind of figured this thread would have died out by now. The Intel-AMD fight is starting to sound like the PC-Mac fight(PC wins every time). Originally I was leaning toward the AMD, but the Intel is starting to sound better. I've always used Intel and have never had a single problem. From some of the articles posted it sounds like they run cooler and are more consistently stable. That's kind of what I'm looking for. Now I'll add a little more trouble to this. I am also looking to upgrade my machine(the other one isn't mine). I do 3D and 2D graphics, gaming, programming, etc. Want to fight over that one? Lata' y'all!

~GC

You need to read the entire thread...the first PC was a work computer for a friend, here, he wants a work computer that is used for 3D and 2D graphics and GAMING.....for that, you do need a high-end PC...but you don't need to spend $2000, you can build a machine that will score 7000 on 3DMark for $1200.

If you are on a limited budget AMD is most bang for the buck.

If you are not, Intel and Rambus make sense.

I built a 2Gig P4 with 1Gig Rambus and a Geforce 4 ti4600 4 80 Gig IBM drives and it runs like a raped ape. Every game screams and Photoshop and Premiere do too.

I'm building another one for a friend and we're going the AMD route with DDR, he wants to spend $1100 and we'll end up with a screamer there too. He wants it primarily for games.

Both are fast, some say that DDR memory is a dead end.

AMD cpu's must be treated a bit more carefully in the build process, coolers tend to crack them.

My computer worked from the moment I closed the case.

I went with the Intel because I thought it would be better down the road. No one ever knows whats around the corner but I have a feeling Intel will be there.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers, in everyday tasks the 2 gig doesn't seem a whole heck of alot faster than my old 800 P3.

Either way you'll end up with a better set up than you have now.

I am a Microsoft System Builder and I suggest Athlon XP, you will get more for your dollar with AMD. I build a Retail Athlon 1700+ XP, FIC AD11XP, PC2100 256 RAM, 40.0 GB ATA-100 7200 RPM, Nvidia Geforce 4 64MB 4x AGP, 16x DVD, 24x12x40 CD-RW, Linksys NIC, Altec AVC-300 Speaker System, 17" Monitor, MS Internet Keyboard, MS Optical Mouse, Windows XP Home Edition (OEM), McAfee 6.01. Sold it for $1400. If you are building it yourself it will be cheaper and might not need second monitor, you can pick all this up for about $950. Just make sure you get a 300-Watt Power Supply.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back