Building a new PC, need opinions...

i have 3 comps
amd k5 133 mhz
amd k6-2 450 mhz
amd athlon 900 mhz

intel pentiums just stopped interesting me since the beginning

a little off topic, but do u guys remember the cyrix processor? lol i heard it had heating problems back in the day

Famine

yo did u even read the conclusion page and their final thoughts??.......

"In the previous "AMD vs. Intel" comparison (Athlon XP 2100+: AMD Turns Up The Heat), the Athlon XP 2100+ took the leading position by a nose, but now the Pentium 4/2400 easily overtakes its arch rival. Meanwhile, you should keep in mind that that the P4 has a 666 MHz core clock advantage over the Athlon XP. It should be clear that it's a meeting of two completely different architectures, which cannot be evaluated merely on the basis of MHz figures. Basically, there's not much new to report about the P4/2400, and it won't be until the P4/2533 is launched in May that we will see a new FSB clock of 133 MHz.

Without a doubt, a highlight of this test was the AMD Athlon XP 2400+, whose benchmark results were included in the comparison of 25 processors. Although the sample that we used was an overclocked CPU, the scores give us a good preview of how the next Athlon XP 2x00+ (Thoroughbred core) will perform when it is introduced in the days to come.

When all's said and done, the new Pentium 4, whose clock has been increased by 200 MHz, does not differ from its slower variants with the Northwood core. "

THAT WAS THEIR FINAL WORD

yea, the celeron sucks big time

i hav a lap top wit a celeron and it sucks (so problematic)..............but my crappy old version of P4 doesnt give me any hassle......and i dun need all the power......i just need my pc for burning movies and music...........no games (xbox has that covered).

Well I think I'll throw my 2 cents in as well. It's been my experience; whilst I'm not into benchmark tests as much as some of you, that since the inception of AMD, nearly every processor they have made has been by far the better choice. It hasn't always been in terms of speed as some of you have pointed out..... Intel has 'taken' the crown from AMD on a number of occasions in that regard, but usually it has only been 'taken'. AMD snatched that crown back in the begenning of their Athlon days with the old Slot A and throughout has kept it nearly the entire time.

While both of the companies are still making similar processors in terms of the capabilities does anyone ever get the feeling that Intel is just RAPING their customers?! .... I sure do.

I say get an Athlon XP, overclock it and stick it in a SOYO Dragon Plus! You'll still beat most those P4's out there. ;)
Heck if you think about it, for the price on 1 P4 system you could have 2 maybe even 3 Athlon XP systems! Hehe.

That's my 2 cents... in a nut shell. :D

BTW, DeepBlade: I did have a Cyrix chip a long time ago. I got screwed, the guy told me it was a pentium 166 and I wasn't the wiser until a few years later when I actually decided to pull the fan off the darned thing! Haha, it was the absolute worst piece of junk I ever had!

From what I've read, AMD sounds like the clear winner. I don't plan to overclock this machine, as it's not for me and it needs to be as stable as possible. One thing I've heard is that the Via based motherboards have had incompatibilities with graphics cards, mostly nVida. I was looking at getting a Matrox G550 as the user won't be doing anything that will require a whole lot of graphics power and the 2D quality on Matrox cards has always been exceptional(IMO after having a Mystique 220 and a G400MAX). I'm a little out of the loop on RAM tech, so what speed DDR can I put into some of the boards you mentioned(ASUS, Soyo).

Also I've read that Athlons run hot, will the standard cooling be sufficient or should I invest in a different heatsink/fan combo?

One last question, are the heatsinks as much of a biatch to attach as on Intel flip chips? When I built a P3-866 about a year and a half ago, I had to order a new fan from Tennmax when I couldn't get that thing on! Apparently it required something like 80lbs of pressure to get that thing to seat!!

Thanks!

well i'm currently building mine..

CPU: AMD XP 2.2ghz VIA KT266A Chipset
HD: Maxtor 60 gigs
Motherboard: Soyo SY-K7V+ or Gigabyte (not sure yet)
Burner: Plextor
Mem: 512 m DDR
350 watts ATX Power Sup
Aopen KF45A ATX Tower
GeForce 3 ti200

i'm lookin for other parts and a nice sound card depending on my budget :D

Its too bad Intel had to take a 2.4 gig cpu @666 FSB vs. the AMD XP 2100 (1.73gig) @266FSB....

Guess what... Intel wins.. Only by alittle.... Wait till the new line of XP's come out !!!!!!!

:cool:

Originally posted by catch23
AMD will be releaseing the Hammer soon....
That's what I'm waiting on!
AMDAthlon.gif
beavis.gif

Originally posted by catch23
I'm anxious to read that last article posted..though it's down...
Maybe it's down for a reason. muwahahahaha!

old P4's SUCK

yea, the one on ur link, they tested the OLD versions of P4's not the new ones, so they got lower benchmarks for the P4. the new P4 has a new architecture they redisgned the old ones.

do u think that site was legit?

Re: do u think that site was legit?

Quote1
Originally posted by allan03
go wit the new P4's ...the new p4's kicks AMD's ass in most stuff, like ripping divx and stuff, AMD only wins wit rippin Mp3's.
or check out http://www.tomshardware.com to find out all the benchmarks and stuff...............
Quote 2
i dun really care about AMD and Intel's rivalry..........im not some computer fag who argues this .....so who carez..................i dun care..............no one carez
Quote 3
Sounds like you care to me. :p

hehe......now im a dumbasss.....hehe, temper, temper

catch23.....it doesnt matter if they do that for a living, if they hate intel in the first place, theyll post that so they can bash intel (like ur self...hehe)......its common sense, theres so much false info on the net (hehe, thats what my english professor says when i plagiarize), im not sayin that the info is false, its prolly true (old P4 sucks, cuz i hav one). this whole arguement is sickenin, intel sucks, amd sucks, they're both prolly big companies who dont give a rats ass....most likely intel. im not sayin that intel rules or amd rules........its my opinion that intel's new P4's are better than AMD's processors (from the stuff i'v read).....and thats it, its a cycle, AMD is gonna make a better processor than the new P4, then intel makes another one, etc........its just a cycle........

and i know, intels processors are expensive (those bastards)....hehe, but i didnt buy mine, it was givin to me on my B-day, my uncle built it (hes a computer tech), i told him to get a Athlon cuz its cheaper but he didnt. :)

famine..........i wasnt talkin to u..............hehe

anyway......this is the end of this thread.....hehe.....

Hammers will Hammer Intel

Athlon maybe abit behaind as of late, but thats only since their getting ready for the new Hammer that will Hammer Intel down to the ground.

Allan03 you are true that its a cycle, but AMD has still always been in ahead for the last 1-2 years, always, but because of old technology, they have fallen behind, only over the last couple of weeks or so, since the new Intel 2.4's came out, and it doesn't matter, AMD will be right back with the Hammer, AMD's new technology.

:D BTW, do you that Intel Inside, is a US government warning required by law. :D

Firstly, I keep saying this but you should check out the Microsoft Catalogue on the windows xp site. it will tell you what components are and arent xp certified, you can also look on the box of the component itself.
Also AMD do run hot I would recommend paying a few bob to get some Arctic Silver, and a good heatsink and fan. The Arctic Silver is the best took my AMD from 53 centigrade to 44 centigrade normal operating temp. Good stuff. You can check it out at Overclockers
Very good stuff, look under overclocking accessories.

you claim to be so smart.......

what the f*ck do u know??.......UR THE TYPICAL STEREO TYPE....u stupid idiot.................theres a diff between arguin and insulting...............amd this amd that, blah blah blah.........suck AMD's d#ck!.........

im not hatin on AMD (and im not an intel fan), like i said, at the moment intel has the fastest CPU and thats it...........im not sayin amd sucks....

and if AMD makes a better chip (if the hammer blows intel, then ill prolly buy it if i chose to buy a new PC)......if they make it better, then intel is gonna make a better chip.......thats business...

catch....dont u just wanna take this outside??....hehe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back