Building a gaming computer

I appreciate the responses. I guess my worry was that the components would run hotter, thus causing more possibility of problems with using on "non-gaming" work. But, I see that it should not be a problem. Thanks again.

So...say I wanted to build myself a computer (in addition to my grandson's gaming computer) and I wanted it to be super fast, powerful, responsive, top of the line, and all that stuff. Yet, I would probably do little in the way of "gaming." I guess I could build a computer (like his) and still not have to worry about it's longevity. And, it would perform with some of the best on the market?

Having said that, are there different components I would need to use in building mine, versus his? i.e., PSU, MOB, Graphics Card, CPU, etc.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance. - Tuf

You can use the same or better hardware for yourself vs grandsons. That is up to you. The same parts would be good for both if that is what you want to do

Thanks, Chastity. Again, I appreciate all the help. You people are fantastic! I am so glad I found this site. - Tuf

glad we were able to help you out tufunuf

Making a super fast non-gaming machine is actually cheaper. You can cut corners on the video card. You still want an add in video card as opposed to on board video because there is a noticeable speed difference but your looking at $125-150 vs $200-400 for a good gaming card.

The exception is if you do 3D graphics rendering or video editing then you want to select a video card carefully. Some cards have video encoding accelerators built in, some don't. Ask specifically for recommendations if video or 3D work is planned for your machine.

MB's could be the same which will make maintenance simpler. You would want to emphasize the CPU in your computer and the video card in your grandson's. Plenty of RAM (2 gig+) is essential for both.

If you want your PC cool and quiet both the latest AMD and Intel CPUs run a lot cooler and have features to throttle them down during light work load like surfing. Intel is the leader in low power /cooler CPUs right now. The other more costly approach is to use a mobile CPU in a desktop machine. They are optimized for low power.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back