BT now charging for line ceases

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I don't know how many of you are aware that if you have ADSL on your BT phone line and you then change *anything* about the account eg account holder name, phone number or address then the ADSL service is ceased and you will need to re-connect your ADSL service.

I became aware of this when I was providing ADSL to students in Scarborough, there was a couple of occasions when one student would leave and so would change the BT contract to another member of the house in which they were living. This would incur a re-connection charge for us to get BT to re-enable ADSL on the line again. This can also catch you out if you move house as a cease will be done on the line at your old house and you'll then have to re-connect your new house.

Well BT have now added another charge to this process, there is now a £39.66 (inc. VAT) charge for the cease. Add to this £50 charge to enable ADSL service on a phone line.

Admittedly a number of ISPs now do free setup, but they are still having to pay that £50 setup charge and its likely that they may be forced to pass the new cease charge on to customers.

I should note that this was announced in November of last year but it goes into effect from the 1st of May

what about just all out cancelling the bt line once adsl service stops cos I switched to virgin media?

what about just all out cancelling the bt line once adsl service stops cos I switched to virgin media?
You mean the same Virgin Media who don't know their arse from their elbow? We rang to ask about a service upgrade as advertised on leaflets through the door and their own website, the guy on the other end of the phone said "whats a service upgrade? I've no idea what your on about" and put the phone down. They can stick it where the sun don't shine.

you asked the wrong question. Should have asked to change to the VIP package :)

Virginmedia is very good as long as you don't get through to the indian call centre. I've dealt with far better india based call centres.

I didn't want the VIP package. I wanted the info the leaflets told us to ask for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back