Bsod

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by pedroboe, Jan 6, 2002.

1. pedroboe

pedroboe Guest

Hi all:

I am new here, been using Win XP for 6 Months but I am not totally skilled at advanced troubleshooting. Here is my present system:

Dell PIII 500MHZ
    512 RAM, SODIM
    Nvidia Gforce 3 200 Titanium (just installed a week ago)
    Turtle beach Montego II sound card

DVD and CRD Drives (Toshiba and Mashita)

I am getting the BSOD once in a while. I have become very paranoid about my cable conection and I am preesently using a few firewall and trojan programs at the same time. I also downloaded a utility to tweak the G3. I have stopped using that, but have not uninstalled it.
    I understand there must be a way to track the series of event leading to this major crash. I have used many of the tweaks provided elsewhere on this website, including disablind the page filing. but everytime I go back and look at the Advanced tab under system, Windows has gone back to thre default setup

Can anyone tell me where I can find the info about the programs that are causing this crash? is it Sherlock? log file?

Sorry, I am not in the computer business!

Thanks...

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

What kind of codes/messages are you getting with the bsod?

3. pedroboe

pedroboe Guest

That is a good question. I always get so shocked that i just reach for the reset button without even noticing the error message. However. It has not happened since I uninstalled the "Black Ice defender" firewall program. I had it running simultaneously with another one called "The cleaner" and I uninstalled both. Now I am just using the "Tiny" firewall and Norton Antivirus as well as the "port blocker" from Analog X. The reason of my paranoia is that Iv'e had about 3 trojans and 2 viruses in my system in the last 2 months. It seems like my cable provider is constanly fequented by punks.....

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Cool, you're up and running on all cylinders then.

For future reference, you can go to Microsoft's knowledge base with any bsod messages to help you troubleshoot them. "STOP: Ox..." messages are pretty well documented as are many others. Typing in variations of the error code(s) will often bring up relatively simple solutions. Here's a link to the knowledge base:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;rid;kbinfo

5. pedroboe

pedroboe Guest

Thanks a lot for the info and prompt reply!