BSOD been happening alot lately.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ZipTriX, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Lately my pc has been crashing uncontrolably. 5 minutes ago, it crashed. I managed to notice that it had something to do with the win32k.sys file. Didn't catch the error message. What is the importance of this file and how do I correct this?

System Specs
    Abit KT7A-RAID
    1 gig TBird
    1024 MB Ram
    Geforce 3
    SB Live 5.1 Platinum
    2 BRAND NEW ATA133 Matxor Hard Drives (60 & 80 GB running at ATA100)

2. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Ok just crashed again. Error had something to do with locked_pages. How can I fix this problem?

3. Yodums

Yodums Guest

I think it's bad ram. Try different ram modules at a time to identify if it's ram.

4. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

OK I have 2 256 sticks and a 512. I'm going to take the 512 out, run my system for a couple days and see if I crash again. Let you know in a couple days.

Wouldn't bad ram also cause excessive crashing with explorer.exe?

5. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

I removed the 512 stick, and now everything lags really bad. MY fps in counterstrike went from a steady 99 to 4-15 fps. Could this mean that the bad stick of ram is still being used?

6. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

most definetly...try using one atr a time, starting with the 512..I had the same problem

7. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

New update. After taking out one 256 stick (stick A), I was running the 512 and the other 256 (stick B). Everything ran fine (no CS lag). So then I took out Stick B, leaving just the 512, and everything is running fine still (Still no CS lag).

How come, when running all 3 sticks, CS ran fine; but when it was running just Sticks A & B, CS lagged?

8. Shadow_Mx

Shadow_Mx Guest

You still had the Bad RAM in the socket, so, Im guessing thats why.
    Now, with 512&256, you have 256mb more than the 2x256 ones (duh)
    Thats gotta help too.

Just keep using the 512 and 256 "b" which you said, it ran fine.

*Sell the bad ram at ebay :- ) *

9. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Update: I took both 256 sticks to be tested. Result: Both sticks are fine.

They were tested with some program that tests each byte, and 200 passes were done. So could it be a bad ram slot?

10. Yodums

Yodums Guest

Sounds like it... Try different ram modules in different slots.

11. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

could also be a bad slot on the MoBo...cross fingers hope it isn't tho

12. notoes

notoes Guest

I've been having the same problem with the win32k errors and whatnot with cs, I shoot someone then it just frezzes and exits/restarts, I doubt it's my ram cause I've been running fine since I got it. I reformatted last week due to a virus, but this dumb BSOD just popped up a few days ago and I got all my paging files etc. correct

I blame Micro$oft

13. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Starting over. I put all the RAM back in so I could get the exact error. Well 6 hrs after putting the RAM I got the blue screen. This happned after playing Starcraft. When I exit the game, it seems that the game doesn't fully close. It stays in the taksbar and taskmanager. It reads not responding, in taskmanager, but won't close completely, when I hit End Task.

Exact error is: Process_Has_Locked_Pages 0x00000076 (0x00000000, 0x858866F8, 0x00000001, 0x00000000)
    Slot 1 (closest to cpu) 256 (Stick A)
    Slot 2 512
    Slot 3 256 (Stick B)

Now I took out Stick A. I will report if I get the BSOD again.