Browser

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by zeke_mo, Nov 9, 2004.

1. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I just got my hands on a used iBook its an older one with OS9.2.2 and I dont want to use IE for the browser....are there any out there like firefox? thanks

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Ouch...you're stuck with OS 9? [​IMG]
    Isn't there any way you can install OS X on that thing? It'll be a whole lot more pleasant.

In any case, I believe Mozilla 1.2.1 was the last version released for OS 9. It hasn't been updated since late 2002 though.

3. zeke_mo

I dont think this computer can take it, this is my first mac so I dont know how the OS is related to the processor.....i think its 300Mhz or something with 340MB RAM....could it handle OSX? Thanks

P.S. I think I am becoming a mac person..this is scary...somebody hold me

4. NetRyder

I assume it would be too slow, if it could run at all. How much did you buy this thing for anyway?

You're becoming a "Mac person" after using OS 9 on a 300MHz G3? That is scary. [​IMG]

5. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

upgrading to OSX on the G3/300 will be slow-ish, but i know of many people who have done it and say that it isnt at all that bad. The thing is tho, does your iBook have firewire ports?

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

OSX Will run on that machine.

As for OS9 browsers, iCab, Opera 6.03 or Mozilla (To my knowledge, 1.2.1 was the last build to support OS9)

7. zeke_mo

Somebody gave it to me, i dont think i would pay for it.....and yes, it is scary

8. zeke_mo

Yes it has firewire

9. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Nothing scary about loving FREE computer hardware! :D I would probably dry hump anyone that just gave me a Mac of any kind ... did I just type that?! :eek:

10. NetRyder

Wow, we have some desperate people here, I see. [​IMG]

11. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

wow! crazy stuff in here. I know this is kinda off topic but i think i read somewhere before that pretty soon we can start building custom mac systems. Is this true?

12. NetRyder

Haha, I would bet money that it's not true. As Steve Jobs would say - "when hell freezes over" :p

13. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

lol...well hell has frozen over but anyway it seems like they would want to make a crap load of more money by doing that. I think thats one of the top reason that alot of people dont switch to mac. O well...done with making the thread off topic.

Hope u have fun with the new mac!!!

14. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

*sorry to continue the offtopic discussion but hopefully this closes it* - building a truely "custom" Mac would involve non-standard hardware that would cause Apple to recompile OSX but also you would lose the stability of an OS build for a single hardware config (yes several versions of Mac hardware but still far less diverse then the x86 world that MS has to deal with).

15. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

then i can confirm it will run OSX but how fast is another question. :rolleyes:

16. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I would say it should be decent for the speed. Don't expect it to fly, but it will be decent. I have installed Panther on various G3 machines (both iBooks and PowerMac G3 ranging from 300-450 MHz) and they run decently. You also have to understand that when you are dealing with Mac processors (RISC), they perform 2-4 times better than a similar clocked CISC (Pentium). Thus, it is safe to say that your 300 MHz G3 would perform with OSX like a 1.1-1.2 GHz PC running Windows XP.