Browser Memory Usage Test

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Smoke286, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Smoke286

Smoke286 Smokeater

I found myself with 3 browsers installed briefly, so I decided to test the resources that they use. It's too bad I didn't think of it while I had Mozilla Firebird installed, I could have tested that also, anyway here is the link:
    Computer World

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I'm not seeing a link to the actual test there. Could you post it?

3. Smoke286

Smoke286 Smokeater

I'm not sure I understand your question, I installed all three browsers and ran them on my computer, listed are the resourses used by each of them,according to windows task manager, if you want to you can do the same thing yourself, as stated it may vary from computer to computer

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I see what you mean. So you just open one window of all three browsers to the same page and check their memory usage?

5. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

my firebird 0.6 (26062003) is using: 46.364kb now....

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

You can't really compare the memory usage of IE with any of the other browsers, since IE is integrated into Windows. The memory usage shown in task manager for iexplore.exe will always be less than it actually is.

7. Smoke286

Smoke286 Smokeater

Realy? then there are other proscesses that are part of I.E.?

8. sboulema

sboulema Moderator

ie is a integrated part of the os so i think a amount of ram used by explorer.exe must be added to the usage of ie...

9. kyndl7

kyndl7 OSNN Junior Addict

Not intirely true. You can force ie to run in a seperate memory space than windows explorer and the results don't change

10. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

IE's rendering engine and GUI are a part of windows, where-as Opera and Mozilla both have their own.
    Mozilla and Opera are also handle multiple pages instead of just the one that IE does.
    Mozilla and Opera will always take more memory than IE.

11. Smoke286

Smoke286 Smokeater

OK, I'm no expert here, but explorer.exe is as I understand it part of Windows itself, and runs no matter what browser you use. BTW if you check the results you will see Opera actually used the least ammount of resouces, Netscape used the most.

12. SPeedY_B

Explorer is all those little windows on your screen :) hence why part of its resources are IE's html rendering engine (MSHTML) and it's gui.

Windows allocates memory as it's needed anyway, so unless you reboot a clean install of windows then open the browser for each test, the results are likely to vary.

13. SPeedY_B

Just for reference...