Browse Happy

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Web standards folk say 'dump IE'

Web standards champions have launched a campaign urging Web surfers to abandon Internet Explorer.

The Web Standards Project's 'Browse Happy' campaign has a look-&-feel reminiscent of Apple's 'Switch' campaigns.

The Web site's front page proclaims: "Internet Explorer can make your computer unsafe. Why not switch to a browser that's more secure?"

The campaign reflects advice from Internet security experts, who last month advised users to seek alternatives to Microsoft's market-dominant browser.

Topple the empire, time for change

Computer Weekly wrote: "Security issues in Internet Explorer have highlighted the need for companies to think about supporting other Web browsers on their customer-facing sites to control the security threat."

Major players such as the US Government CERT and non-profit Sans Institute recently urged companies to consider supporting other Web browsers, such as Netscape, Opera, Mozilla and Safari.

The campaign Web site offers stories from people who have switched to alternative browsers and brief descriptions of some of those available.

Recent data from WebSideStory showed Internet Explorer's share of the browser market dropped by 1 per cent in June – the first noticeable decline since WebSideStory began tracking the browser market in late 1999.

Seems that more and more people are trying to rid the internet of IE.
Link: http://browsehappy.com/

(Note: serious discussion only, flames will be deleted without any notification of warning.)

So are people just no noticing that IE is unsafe? I use to use IE up till the past few months cause i never knew about other browers cause i had the internet gone for so long. I hope Microsoft makes an effort to make IE better soon unless they r gonna wait till longhorn is released.

From what I know, the IE team at Microsoft is back in action now. IE 6 SP2 is a testament to this - the popup blocker and ActiveX filter were two very important features that were incorporated. I think other features aimed at the end-user like tabbed browsing etc. should be on their way, although I'm not sure if there will be a new IE release before LH.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the MSHTML engine. Even with all the useability enhancements, if IE still renders CSS and PNG alpha channels incorrectly, it's still going to be a target of criticism from a large number of web developers who have to make special attempts to sometimes even "break" their code in order to make it compatible with a browser that has the largest user base today. I'm really not sure what Microsoft's stance on this important issue is.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back