Brother's computer is completed bogged down

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hi Guys,
Im fed up with my brother yelling at me for picking him out a bad laptop which for what he does is not bad...
The computer has so much bad stuff on it that it freezes when started up and can't do many tasks.
I am wondering if there is any way to save the computer without doing a reformat.
Thanks a lot,
Jack

Start by going to the Control Panel, ADD/REMOVE Programs and take off any and all applications not needed.

Second, visit MSCONFIG, remove items that don't need to start up.

Then, ensure it's up to date with WU, do an AV scan, defrag, etc.

What does it have for specs?

I just cleaned up my cousins laptop, had soo much crap the dell had installed, i ditched everything that could be replaced with something better (norton>AVG, Sonic music recorder>Nero, Start office>New beta(today), IE>Firefox, and crap like that) also i cleaned up misc crap and within an hour, running like a champ. The laptop runs at ike 1.5 ghz, 256mb ram, 40 gig HD..its not the best but with a good clean up...she is happy..

damn...already when i'm seeing norton, i'm thinking a clean install.
but if she's happy then its alright.
havent used norton since Slash was in GN'R.

I think the best way is to format and use an OEM disc and skip the restore disk.

Kc- I did all the things you mentioned, the specs are:
AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-34 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
1.0GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)
80 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo
54g(TM) 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster(TM)
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

All he does is use it for music and school work...
I am positive that it is just him with his complete lack of computer knowledge and stupidity on the internet...
This laptop is not even a year old and this was happening back in November...

Admiral Michael - I was hoping it wouldn't come to that but i suppose there isn't anything to do if i did all that KC said.

Check in the Task Manager, look under Processes and see what may be using up RAM or CPU cycles.

Normally when a rig locks up, the CPU will spike.

Thats another thing...
It doesn't
Right when the computer turns on you can go into tskmanager but you cant use explorer or anything else, yet the cpu is not high at all, 3% at most...

You can't USE explorer.exe or you can't SEE explorer.exe?

If that is the case, as in explorer.exe is crashing at boot, you may have a virus. If you are in the task manager, go to File, New Task, explorer.exe - that will relaunch it.

Yes, i can!
explorer is up and runs sort of, but i mean i can't click start or any programs directly after boot for like 15 minutes, if that.
If i restart explorer, nothing better happens...

Restarting explorer only would have done something if it was crashed, my bad for not understanding properly.

How does he login? Does it use Fast User Switching? Does he have a password? Does he autologin? Does it boot fast, as in the slider for XP doesn't stay too long, and then the desktop just takes awhile to load?

Ok, here is how the boot works, my bad for not explaining it...
The computer CAN boot at normal speed, you get to the log in screen. Then you click the username and enter password, it takes a long time to get into the desktop then you cant do anything.
My Exclaimation point before was not angry at you, im exclaiming that its so confusing. :)

Try a different user profile?

Try in safe mode?

What are the speed differences?

go to msconfig and remove most of the stuff at start up i.e., Adobe autoupdate and a bunch of other stuff, leave the antivirus and the required system programs. then reboot.

falconguard said:
go to msconfig and remove most of the stuff at start up i.e., Adobe autoupdate and a bunch of other stuff, leave the antivirus and the required system programs. then reboot.
He's already tried that, read above :lick:

falconguard said:
so what processes are running at startup?
At startup, there are minimal user processes, the only one is really explorer.exe and another one that i have on mine so i assume it to not be bad...
I have tried the other user account and its still stinks, but lets remember my brother is stupid when it comes to computers, thus he messed that one up as well...
Oh well, looks like im gonna have to bite the bullet, transfer all his music to my mp3 player, and redo his entire computer. Is there a way to put a limited access on him, where it requires a password to do stupid things to your computer?
I think you had this problem with one of your clients, right kc?

Well, two things.

First - when I say a new user account, I mean create a new one. Start, run, "control userpasswords2" and hit enter (no quotes). Create a new account, login with it.

Secondly, you don't have the option to prompt them for a PW, just give them access denied and insufficient priveleges messages. I have people that run as "Users", and that's it.

How do you set that up?
I mean is that possible if i want to only use 1 user account?
Also back to the whole creat new user account thing.
If i create a new account, could i delete the other two and all their documents and files and would my problem be fixed? Or would it carry over to the new one?

Well the reason I'm having you try this is because I think it MAY be related to a certain profile or profile(s). The best way to find out, is to create a new and login. Make sure you logoff the other ones first, and you may be best to reboot before logging into the new one.

But yes, files can be copied from other profiles to new ones. And to change group memberships, you can also do that within "control userpasswords2" - make him a "User" :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back