Broadcom 4306 driver issues (WEP?)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Well...... for one reason and another we had to enable WEP (yeah I know slackers and insecure people that we are :p)...

Thing is since then my old eMachines M5116 notebook has basically been offline... at first it could connect intermitently, although the Network Status lied....

I booted into Ubuntu by the way and got that WEPed like a dream and it stays online solid as a rock with Ndiswrapped BCMWL5.sys driver files.

The chipset in there is pretty common, the Broadcom BCM4306 for 511b/g at Rev.03. I have so far been through the (originally working) R81433 driver set from Dell (their Truemobile 1300 carries same chipset) and then tried Dells R58092 set , then also found mention of a Belkin set and tried that F5d7010-V2.4.5.UK all to no avail. Tried with authentication on and off.... no joy. Open and shared - no joy.... I have read from google of issues people are having on the NDISWRAPPER side but, as I say, that works like a dream for me - my problems are purely with XP.

Anyone out there using same chipset and have latest dirvers or a link to them? This has become tiresome to me and I could use a hand....

I know my friend's broadcom (not sure if the same model) has a Broadcom management app. He doesn't use Windows to manage wifi.

I have an Intel wifi card (POS if I may add) and the reason I'm mentioning it is that I wasn't able to connect (or sustain a connection if I remember correctly) by using the Windows Wireless Manager I had to use the Intel app.

yeah - that figures I read a few posts (maybe some in here) that talk about turning off the Xp service - only problem is now I have Belkin drivers on tyhere and not even sure they are working! anyway - I'll experiment with that - thanks.... this is onboard wifi in the machine - it is just what eMachines specced and actually I am happy enough with it... in other respects!

Both mine and my friend's are onboard, well actually integrated since it's a miniPCI card. I upgraded to the Intel for the G mode but I didnt know it was a crap card when I bought it. Aw well, the Intel app is nice.

thought I should post back on this one - since I resolved it - the only trouble is I have no clue HOW it was resolved.... what happened was I went through those two drivers as listed and changing various settings - with neither of the driver updates did I get connectivity beyond detection of networks... then at one point I end up with no drivers and driver install for the original drivers will not find the device :dead:

So here I go back to a restore point before I changed drivers - and suddenyl all is well again. The only thing I actually changed was the display of the notification icon on the task bar (had turned it off an had to turn it on again). Oh and I guess I did stop and start the Zwindows service for network management.

There is something in the taskbar icon though, because before when there were problems it would show no network present, even when there was.

I hate probems like this - that get resolved without awareness of the action to resolve. Still have to move on and forget it - just be grateful I have a notebook online! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back