briefcase computer

ok i got the case and i am back at home now too so time for the plans to be finilazied and start laying things out and now that i got a Sweet HUGH NTFS logo for the top too and one for the side i need to plan this

ok people i need some help on this one who ever is out there.

power for the fans and to just to turn it on

i was thinking about hsyt botching an old case but i wanted to do something cool

for the fans i have ordered 2 80mm vantec tornado fans. (decided to stick with 80mm becasue they are thinner)

now i was going to make a duct for the CPU fan directly out of the case for better air. now i wanted to do something like this
http://www.adpmods.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=89&cat=4&page=1

but just a little box inside it,

now i just cant figure out how to make this power thing tho, anyideas and pictures help me a whole lot for me to get it in my mind

couple things...

- if you have an 80mm fan blowing down on your cpu, make sure it's ducted all the way right to the heatsink. if not, the air will be drawn right out through the 120mm fan right next to it and will never reach the cpu.

- i don't really see a need to have manual switches for all your fans. it's not like you'll be turning them off while the computer's on, unless you like the smell of burning components.

- all you need is a switch to turn it on and some led's. a really neat idea for a switch is the ignition from a car. just the key part in the console so to turn on the comp, you put your key in, twist the key for a split second, and let go. vrroooom...! :cool:

that would be cool

now how would i do that??? i dont want to have a huge starter or something in there

and anouther thing that i need to do is mount hte MOBO about 5mm up so that the plate for the ports is on the flat part ( so that this thing can clear the rounded corners

5mm is about the length of the standoffs you use in every case. standoffs are the little things your screw into the case under your mobo that your mobo screws into. and if one isn't high enough, screw another into it to double it's height. :)

the starter thing would be very simple. when you turn the key, it closes a circuit... the same as pressing the button on the front of your case. you just have to find the 2 points on the ignition to solder the "PWR ON" wires to.

lol. and no, you don't need a mechanical starter. :D

ah sounds simple enough

and for these stand offs i got a bunch of them but they are mechnical scrwes which mean there is no point to screw into this wood in the case so how can i mount this board?

good point...

*thinking*

here's one idea. not 100% guaranteed reliable, though. i'd try anyway.

mark your 8 or 9 points where you want the standoffs to be attached to. then, using a drill bit smaller than the standoff threads, drill into the wood at the 8 or 9 points. then screw the standoffs into those small holes which should keep them nice and snug. maybe you can find a glue to use in those holes to help... something that interfaces with metal and wood well. use as many standoff points as possible for increased strength.

i'll try to come up with other ideas..

oh, and i'd cut out the foam padding under the motherboard, too. no use in it being there and insulating. might even short something out.

ok i will cut it out now and i will mark one spot in the corner to see if they will stick or not

another idea...

if you know how to solder or even weld small parts, you could use small (well, short) wood screws in those points... then cut off the threaded parts of the standoffs and weld/solder them onto the heads of the wood screws. they will hold in the wood a lot better.

the first idea might be sufficient, though.

i dont understnad what u are tryint to say about welding/ sodering them

u want me to attach the point of the threaded wood screws to the standoff's????

i meant cut off the threaded parts of the standoffs, leaving a flat end which you would weld/solder onto the heads of the wood screws...

but forget both of those ideas now... won't work...

can you take the wood out and put it back in? it'd be nice to keep it in there to reduce noise.

if you can put it back in, i suppose you could screw normal screws (not wood) through the back of it, facing though... replace the wood and then put a plastic or even hard rubber washer on each screw... place the board on there with each screw coming through it's respective hole... and use a plastic/rubber washer and screw nuts onto them.

cant take the wood out but i got anouther idea, when i was getting some toold i found some plastic sheets about 3mm thick and 2 will be the size of the MOBO i am gonna see what i can do

hard plastic sheets? if so, you could fit them in there and do the same thing i explained in my last post.

here's a pic to help visualize it. only in this case replace "wood" with "plastic sheet". :)

briefcase2.txt

or bypass all this by getting the motherboard backing plate out of a scrap case.

hey the thing with just putting the stand off's in the wood with driling a piolt hole works, it can hold in about 1 pound on just one so 6 should be good yea think?????

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back