braided ide cables

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by VenomXt, Jun 9, 2004.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

im looking for braided ide cables. nothing fancy just to get better air flow.

any ideas where to look for them newegg has some for 12 bucks and 6 dollars shipping... really expensive to me.

any ideas

and if you use them any pros/cons

2. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Where in the US are you located?

You should look in your area at the local computer shops. I got mine at a local shop here in San Francisco (but they have 2 other stores on the peninsula/bay area). I payed 'bout 10 dollars for them and they have a life time warranty.

Don't buy them online, you could wind up paying more in shipping than what they want for the cables.

And yes I use them and they work well.

Here's a pic of mine. The blue one in the foreground is the Floppy. The IDE braided are lower.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  3. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Try ebay. I got a set of (2) 24" IDE and a 12" floppy for $12 including shipping. Just search for "round IDE"

As for cons:
    1) The IDE spec stipulates a maximum length of 18" and flat ribbon cables. However, I have never heard of anyone having any problems. I would stay away from any cables over 24"

4. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

houston tx

btw gonnads i have the same case as you.

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

FRYE's electronics has them $6 bucks for a set of 3 (2 ide, 1 floppy). That's what I use no problems. I think there is a FRYE's in Houston. Best Buy and COmpusa have them also but watch the prices. I've seen identical cables priced from 3 bucks to 15 bucks each.

6. drz01

drz01 Weekend DJ

Another way to get them cheep is to make them yourself. Just get a regular ide cable cearfully cut it into 3 or 5 strips being cearfull not to damage the wires. and then wrap electrical tape around the strips to form a small strip. Get some old cables and practice first. I did this with long cables ment for servers. they were $3 dollars each at a computer store.

7. gonaads

Heh heh... cool.

Look around locally in Huston, it's yer best bet. :)

8. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 I Like Cheese

9. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Hey gonaads--what's the black stuff around your power cables? My case looks like a mess inside; I like what you got going. :)

10. gonaads

It's called "spiral wrap". A wire covering you can get at any electronics shop/store or also at a computer shop/store. They come in a variety of colors.

You can also get the "split" type (first image). :)

This site has quite a bit and a variety of styles sizes and colors.
    http://www.directron.com/cablem.html