Bought game from Steam

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

I repurchased Half Life 2, this time from steam. Can't go wrong for $29 Bucks.

I am wondering, do I download an install ISO or do I actually play online?

Right now I am just watching Steam do it's thing, whatever it is.

Heeter

Basically steam downloads all the content to where ever you have steam installed to. It creates .gcf files which contain all the game content. These .gcf's can be encrypted (pre-loaded stuff) or not. If not then you can even browse them like they were zip files with a application called gcfscape. (here)

Once you have the game completely downloaded however, steam does have a backup feature. This will allow you to burn all the content to a DVD so you dont need to re download it all in the future.

Hope that helps :)

Can I move the steam folder then?

If I shut down Steam in the tray, will the games work?

Thanks,

Heeter

Another important feature is you cannot launch your games without a active internet connection. I found this out a couple weeks back when visiting family.

Can I move the Steam parent directory within my computer?

If I knew that Steam puts the files in that directory, I would of put it where I normally put my games (C:/)

If I uninstall it, I could reinstall it where I want it?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Steevo said:
Another important feature is you cannot launch your games without a active internet connection. I found this out a couple weeks back when visiting family.
You can play games in offline mode (you have to activate the games once online)

yes you can reinstall steam were ever you want. One way would be (i've you have already downloaded everything) is to back it up using the back up feature and reinstal steam somewhere else then restore the data

Steevo said:

The game needs to be fully updated before you can use offline mode too :)

I moved my steam folder (everything related to steam) from my d drive to my c drive... It worked but it was a pin i had to go into the c drive and get it like that everytime, shortcuts didnt work... I had to reinstall it eventually in the right folder...
-Jack

Khayman said:
You can play games in offline mode (you have to activate the games once online)

yes you can reinstall steam were ever you want. One way would be (i've you have already downloaded everything) is to back it up using the back up feature and reinstal steam somewhere else then restore the data

Awesome, Thanks, Khayman

Just the answers I was looking for.

I think I like this Steam thing, I wonder other great titles are available on this Steam thing

**must go through their Listings**

Heeter

Eh steam is good for non 3rd-party games... IE: DODS, CSS, HL2, etc...
But for 3rd party games most of them suck, bad graphics...
-Jack

I would recommend Rag Doll Kung-Fu if your looking for something different (rag doll fighting) or Darwinia if you want to get all nostalgic.

There are lots of 3rd party mods you can use on HL2 as well. I reccommend Gary's (physics messing about mod) HL2 : Substance and Fakefactory's Cinematic mod / high text packs (although you need 1GB memory for that).

Really!
Darwinia wasn't bad but Rag Doll KungFu just didn't catch my fancy...
-Jack

Dublex said:
I would recommend Rag Doll Kung-Fu if your looking for something different (rag doll fighting) or Darwinia if you want to get all nostalgic.

Darwinia was sooo much fun. I still have my holiday darwinian in my avatar...I really need to change that

darwinian is great fun, so was ragdoll. Theres been several new 3rd party games on there recently. but they don't take my fancy

What do you all think of Red Orchestra?
I'm thinking of getting it, it looks really good...
-Jack

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back