Bootvis question

Elroy Jetson

Little Dipper School
First of all Happy New Year (my first post this year!)

I just ran Bootvis to improve my boot time, and I noticed that under Disk I/O I had a message "Warning! Disc write caching is disabled". Also, an optimization comes up with a timeout after reboot. Do those two things go hand-in-hand?

How do I enable disc write caching, what is it for, and do I need it?

Thanks in advance, EJ :cool:

Right click My Computer.
Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

Under Disk Drives, find your hard disk and double click it.
Go to the policies tab and check "Enable write caching"

It tells you what it is.

BTW, if it was checked already and you still got the error message with BootVIS, don't worry about it ... it's a little bug in BootVIS.

Originally posted by Elroy Jetson
Also, an optimization comes up with a timeout after reboot.

If BootVis is timing out after the reboot, chances are that the "Task Scheduler" service isn't running for some reason. Usually because it's been disabled on the suggestion of some tweak advice.

Head over to your "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" and then "Services". Find the "Task Scheduler" service and if it's disabled set it to automatic.

Regards,
Dukey

Originally posted by NetRyder
Right click My Computer.
Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

Under Disk Drives, find your hard disk and double click it.
Go to the policies tab and check "Enable write caching"

It tells you what it is.

BTW, if it was checked already and you still got the error message with BootVIS, don't worry about it ... it's a little bug in BootVIS.

There is no entry of "enable write caching" under my policies tab (XP pro), so I guess it is a bug. thanks, though, now I don't have to worry...

Re: Re: Bootvis question

Originally posted by Duke Zootin
If BootVis is timing out after the reboot, chances are that the "Task Scheduler" service isn't running for some reason. Usually because it's been disabled on the suggestion of some tweak advice.

Head over to your "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" and then "Services". Find the "Task Scheduler" service and if it's disabled set it to automatic.

Spot on, Duke, I used xp-antispy to disable that service, turned it back on, and it works. Nice boot time now, too!

Cheers, EJ :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back