Booting From Windows 98 CD

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Black_Pride, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Black_Pride

Black_Pride OSNN Addict

Hi...I am booting from a windows 98 CD ROM to install 98 on a new Hard Drive.

I get to the Format Partition Screen and it asks if I want to Create a partition. I say yes and it then proceeds to format the partition. The problem is it does a S---L---O---W format and Verify which takes like 45 min. Is there any way I can make it do a Quick format like on a WinXP installation??? I do not have that option on my menu like in Windows XP.

Thanks in advance...

2. bkrepfle

bkrepfle Guest

Smart Drive

The utility to be used is "Smart Drive". The actual name of the file is smartdrv.exe. It can be found in a boot disk from windows 98 boot disk. It may reside on other operating systems boot disks, but I know for a fact that it is on the 98 boot disk.

Krumple
    MCP

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you have the xp cd you could insert that & boot up. Format the drive using the quick method you want then exit the setup. Might work.

4. eNuffSaid

eNuffSaid Guest

If you are using a new HDD, chances are the drive is unformatted and you'll have to settle for the slow format. If you've previously formatted the drive, you may opt for a quick format, but only if you're formatting the same File System as done before.

Todays 40+ Gig drives do seem to take forever to (slow) format... I've heard people say Partition Magic can do (quicker) formats. Don't know really, never use it.

Kind Regards,
    Willem

5. eNuffSaid

eNuffSaid Guest

Smartdrive btw, allows for faster copiing of files from the CD to the HDD when doing a Windows setup, not faster formats. You WON'T need this if you boot from the CD.

Regards,
    Willem Moolenaar