Boot up Problem!

S

SpyD

I got a little boot screen happy at themexp.org and decided to chage my boot screen, i got a program that was supposed to change it for me, but when i restarted, it said that NTOSKRNL.exe was missing or corrupt...... I've tried copying the file from my friend's pc, but it still says the same thing! Is there a way i can restore the default ntoskrnl? or do i have to reformat and reinstall XP?

Remove the boot program then edit your boot.ini. Remove everything after /fastdetect. Then reboot.

The boot.ini is here. My computer/properties/startup & recovery/settings/edit.

Can that be done from DOS? because I cant get into the OS. I get the error as soon as my COMPAQ screen goes away.

yes... press f8 during boot up...
then using ur xp cd, copy the ntoskrnl to ur disk. i think u cant boot to safemode coz it is ntoskrnl prob.

u mean u actually were able to download something from there????

what a miracle

hmm... are you able to get into safe mode? you should be able to since safe mode only loads the basic's.

Nope. I cant get into safe mode, and I tried to copy the NTOSKRNL, but after copying it to my system32 directory, WINDOWS says the same thing?!?!?!?!?

hmm.... so if you used a PROGRAM to apply the boot screen, either the boot screen didn't work or the program jus really frigged up your system

safe recovery

Hav you tried safe recovery by booting off the windows xp cd, im sure that would work. just boot off the cd and look for "Safe recovery"
hope this helps:)

spyd... do u rename the file after u copied to system32?? check the filename (including the extension). I think probably u need to rename it.....

if i not forgotten, the original filename is ntoskrnl.ex_ which u of coz need to rename it to ntoskrnl.exe (if not mistaken)

If you are using "Boot XP2
All you need to do is go to "Options" and "reset Kernel File"
This resets the system. Use another boot file if you have one ,and/ or if needed, delete corrupt version & reload new version from the net.
Simple !

Roger, in case you haven't noticed, he said he cannot boot his computer, not even into safe mode. so how do you expect him to do that?

I bet for some reason the boot.ini is pointed to the wrong file directory. This is why it can't find files. Try to boot manually from DOS (C prompt). Go to the directory where everything is and then manually execute. It's probably looking in WINNT versus Windows.

If this works, then redo your boot.ini file. The other option is to go into DOS, unhide your boot.ini file, call it up, verify it is right or modify. Many times pointing to wrong files at bootup is the problem when you can't even boot to Safe Mode.

Oh yeah, a final option is to go to a friends computer (XP) and copy their boot.ini file, then put in into your system (overwriting yours).

message to Elemental Dragon

Windows will reset the ntoskrnl file itselt maybe after a few reboots and delays restarts, I know because I have experienced it.!
Sorry I thought you realised that.
Initially a blue screen appears just before desktop on first booting error.
Unless his system itself had errors over and above this problem.
First

Where exactly is the boot.ini file located? and how do i unhide it from dos? I'm really starting to wish I would have payed attention when we did DOS in computer class...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back