Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by BlackEyedAngel, Oct 13, 2002.

1. sorry, snookbooger doesn't use pm.

you said i should do a boot-time defrag, but how do i set this up? i have done a normal defrag in windows, but i still have the same problem, ie. loud grindy whirring at start of boot.

if anyone else knows, please feel free to intervene.

2. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

3. thanks twozigzagcolt45 i tried that, and it did it's job, but it has not fixed the noises. thanks anyway, a useful util.
  4. BOBbagels

BOBbagels Guest

Perfect Disc will do a boottime defrag very nicely. It will defrag the directory, page file and windows root directory at boot time and everything else in a normal defrag.
    it can manage the layout.ini files (XP only) and boot files (XP only) obtaining perfect management for these files.
    Its the best and fastest I have ever used.
  5. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

I second that with Perfect Disk 2000.
  6. great program, i did it's boot time defrag and i've just rebooted 3 times and had not a whisper from the previosuly grinding HD. cheers for the link, i only wish that it wasnt irritating 30 day trialware, and was freeware instead. oh well, hopefully wont need it again any time soon.
  7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

new york
    perfect disc is one excellant defrag program
  8. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

If you are getting noises at boot up, is it having problems booting up, is the system hanging???

It might be a Hard Drive problem. You should scan the surface of the HD (A full scan with "Scan Disk").

I think you should still use "Scan Disk" to be sure that there are no "BAD SECTORS".
  9. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Great your problem was solved. Perfect Disk 2000 is the best defrag program I have used to date. Norton Speed Disk is alright, but Perfect Disk 2000 is far better. Like any thing of quality, it costs some money but well worth it.