Boot Question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Jz1397-5, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

I have windows XP on my 1st drive. I want to isntall 98se on the second drive. Heres the problem, Boot Magic does not load NTFS partitions, and the windows xp boot manager does not even see the os on the other drive. what should i use? I was just going into my BIOS and changing the order every time I wanted to boot in another os.

2. AKHeero

AKHeero Guest

When you want to duel boot with 98SE, you need to install 98SE first and then the other OS (in this case XP).

3. allan

allan Guest

Oldest OS's need to be installed first and DOS based OS's always need to be installed before NTFS based OS"s. You have two options:

1) Reformat, install 98 on C: and XP on D: OR

2) Use Partition Magic 7.0 to install 98 on D: in your current configuration without reformatting.

4. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

i take option 2. i use xp more then 98 se

5. allan

allan Guest

Thought you would, but some people might not want to spend the money for the software so I just wanted you to know your options. Good luck. ;)

6. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

in XP, can I put the 98 boot.ini into the nt boot loader? To choose the os?

7. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

I believe you can. Just make sure 98 is installed first then XP (or any other NT based OS). This way the NTloader can detect the NTFS partition AND the FAT partition. You should be able to point the boot.ini file to the \Windows folder on the 98 drive and use the /fastdetect option I think. (I could be wrong).

8. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

unless a whole lot changed, you are right. I can have a NTFS as a primary, it will just use the NT loader detecting a 9x system. Right?

9. zyfos

zyfos Resurrected

XP might detect 98 if it's already installed and put it in the nt boot loader for you. but you might want to double check to be sure.

10. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

better idea, VMWare