Boot & Performance issues

Lukas

Real Name No Gimmicks
Hi all,

I have been tryin' to find help on Microsoft's Knowledge Base, but I haven't succeed. I have two problems:

1. My pc has a weird boot problem: sometimes it boots perfectly, like it should. And sometimes it hangs on the WinXP splash-screen right after the keyboard-leds and the mouse (optical) blink. With /SOS parameter I found out that it hangs right after loading mup.sys. It's the Multiple UNC Provider driver, but I don't know if that's causing the problem becouse mup.sys loads last on the /SOS parameter boot list.

.Windows Help & Support:
UNC means Universal naming convention, It conforms to the \\servername\sharename syntax, where servername is the server’s name and sharename is the name of the shared resource. UNC names of directories or files can also include the directory path under the share name, with the following syntax: \\servername\sharename\directory\filename

2. My girlfriend is experiencing a huge performance loss on her profile, while mine works perfectly. Performance drops after utilisation of MS Office XP Premium, Winamp or Windows Media Player. I've all ready tried re-creating the profile, re-installing winamp, re-installing the audio codecs and re-installing OfficeXP... nothing helps. Perfomance loss is really HUGE, a proc. load of 100% and a huge load on the pagefile. It's like the computer crashes, only... not. I hardly can move the cursor around the screen, and when I press the Windows key, the start menu appears after 30 - 60 secs.

Please help,
Thnx

Without knowing your specs, you can upgrade your ram, download and run bootvis, type msconfigure and uncheck some of your startup programs.I run with just zone alarm and norton antivirus. Xp should boot even loaded up in 30 sec or less.Of course there is always ram optimizer,defrag ect.ect.ect.

Yeah, logout of your profile, then loads hers so less RAM is needed :p

Hey all

specs are:

AMD Athlon thunderbird 900 Mhz @ 1000 Mhz
256 MB RAM
Abit KT7a RAID mobo
nVdia GeForce II MX 400

I'm beginning to think it's a hardware problem. I start clean, in ms config only ctfmon.exe starts with my windows. I've allready ran defrag and checked my disks with scandisk (with surface checking on c: partition).

The problem occurs randomly, somtimes the pc works just fine, and somtimes ... argh

My profile beeing logged in has nothing to do with the situation. I've checked.

I give up... I'll try a format, and if that doesn't help I'll unplug all my hardware and will try to eliminate the problem by trial and error...

thnx 4 ya help.

Originally posted by Lukas
Hey all

specs are:

AMD Athlon thunderbird 900 Mhz @ 1000 Mhz
256 MB RAM
Abit KT7a RAID mobo
nVdia GeForce II MX 400

Hi ,
i have nearly the same Config.
And nearly the same Probs.. :)
Do you boot from Raid ?
If not : try to disable the Raid in BIOS.
This have resolve my Probs.
If you find a other Solution , please post it.
Bye
FHS

probs solved - questionmark

Hi,

I've reinstalled from scratch, and after installing all of my progs, I ran BootVis.exe to improve booting performance.

I didn't boot from RAID, just plain IDE. And the RAID controller has allready been disabled.

now just wait & see :D

I've had the same problem with the boot... (freezing at mup.sys) It goes away when I disconnect my ZIP drive. Not very useful, but it helps me start Windows so I can try to fix it. I'll let you guys know when I get it fixed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back