Boot Oddities

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HodgeMan, May 24, 2002.

1. HodgeMan

HodgeMan Guest

When I boot-up, I have a rather long ;) 15-17sec. black screen from my post, until the black XP screen.
    Any Ideas on how to speed this up?
    Tyan Trinity 400mthrbrd, PIII 1Ghz, 256mb PC133, 15Gb WD 7200HD, TNT2 Ultra vid.
    Overall boot from power-up to desktop is 55seconds.
    I have ran the bootvis, shaved about 2sec, but the black screen is puzzling me.
    ThanX in advance
  2. KLoWn

KLoWn Guest

3. Steely

Steely OSNN Addict

Wolverhampton, United kingdom
    Are you connected to a network? If so, you could look at how it is configured in XP. If not, and you continue to use it as a standalone device, you could remove the network based drivers, protocols.

I had a similar problem with my PC before it was networked. As soon as I had installed the drivers for the generic network card, my PC took around 30 seconds to boot to desktop, as opposed to about 20 or so. I removed the network card drivers and the boot time went back to 20 secs. Confusing! I'm networked now, using the same network drivers but do not have the delay on boot-up.

4. firehawk

firehawk OSNN Addict

What is your file system? NTFS is faster booting than FAT 32.
  5. HodgeMan

HodgeMan Guest

I am using fat32, performance has always been better with it than NTFS, at least on NT4 and Win2k, haven't benchmarked an XP box, but will take your word for it (firehawk)
    Benchmarked with Winbench99 and Winstone99.
    I have a 3Com 3c905tx-b and I am connected to a Linux Server running RH7.0 and Samba 2.2, but I only connect to it when needed.
    I use it for Ghosting, Webserver, MySQL and such. only map a drive to it occasionally.

I have ran the lates bootvis, it shaves a couple seconds off the boot time, but I think it is before the OS even comes into play.

Note: I haven't encountered this before with this system, only after the UPGRADE to XP from 2000.

Would a clean install make any difference?
    I had no comp. issues during the upgrade.
    ThanX for the help