BOOT menu

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Metonic, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Metonic

Metonic Guest

I had windows xp installed two times accidently , so i erased the second version. The only thing that bugs me is that the boot menu , where i can choose between xp and xp still exist. How can i get rid of that boot menu??
  2. zman

zman Guest

hmmm two times , hehhe

you can boot from a 98 boot floppy and type fdisk /mbr at the dos prompt

that should fix it

that will format the master boot record
  3. ZeroChaos

ZeroChaos Guest

I also had that problem. Annoying isn't it, when you leave your PC as it boots up, and come back a few minutes later when it asks you to pick which OS you want to boot. :)

I ended up formatting again, but only because I had some initial difficulties with XP.
  4. phatphunky

phatphunky Guest

There are 2 ways you can do this...

First, make sure you know the directory the XP installation you wish to keep is in...

Go to Settings>ContolPanel>System. Click Advanced Tab. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings. You should now see a drop-down menu listing the operating systems available on your machine. Choose the one you want to boot into (see statement above) and change the time to display list of operating systems to 0. Restart your computer and your computer will boot (without the menu) into XP.

The other option is to edit the boot.ini file in the root directory. It is a hidden file, so change the attributes. Remove the line that refers to your old XP installation, re-save the file and reboot.

I like the first method myself because it is the old point n' click method. Let me know how you do...

5. zman

zman Guest

phatphunky : Excellent post , thanks

Just made a note of that ...... a friend of mine also had this problem

Solved now !!!
  6. Metonic

Metonic Guest

i already figured it out myself by going to msconfig , then go to boot.ini and check all paths. :D