'Boot Magic' and Windows

shiatsu

OSNN Addict
Hi all,

I have Windows XP on my primary IDE drive (NTFS partition) and Windows 98 on my secondary IDE drive (FAT32 partition). I would like to use 'Boot Magic' to be able to chose either system on start-up.

According to the manual Boot Magic will only install to a FAT/FAT 32 partition and sure enough when I fired up the installer program in WinXP (drive C) it only offered me the option of installing to the Win98 partition. (drive D)

As the manual is not clear on exactly what to do in my particular situation I decided not to proceed with the installation without finding out the answers to the following questions!

1 - Should I install Boot Magic via WinXP or via Win98 ?
2 - Which MBR will be overwritten (IDE 0 or IDE 1) ?
3 - Will I need to change the BIOS to boot from IDE 1 ?
4 - Anything else that I need to do ?

Appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Alan

I unno if i am correct but doesnt xp have that? My friend had windows me and xp and he had the the option to choose what to boot up. and i have that right now cept i have linux and xp. try lookin at system and then advanced tab then click start up and recovery and then u should find out what to do there. Sorry if i didnt explain myself enough. i am kinda new at helping people. if u need more info just ask and i will explain it better if not just wait for someone else to answer!

With your multi boot system, you need to format in Fat 32 so both XP/98 can operate in Boot Magic.
When I installed 98 and xp separately 2 years ago , I installed 98 having disabled Bootmagic first.
Use Bootmagic floppy to boot in to 98 and tick xp multiboot option from Boot Magic/ Partition magic software.
You can install Boot Magic in Xp partition as well if you want.... but it wont like NTFS

If you dont get that figuerd out, I recommend XOSL - its a freeware boot manager :)

First off there is only one MBR per physical drive and that is where Bootmagic will go. Where you install I don't think really matters as the program operates off the MBR not through the OS's. Also Partition Magic even suggests creating a FAT32 partition just for boot magic. Hope some of this helps...

Dznuts118 said:
I unno if i am correct but doesnt xp have that? My friend had windows me and xp and he had the the option to choose what to boot up. and i have that right now cept i have linux and xp. try lookin at system and then advanced tab then click start up and recovery and then u should find out what to do there. Sorry if i didnt explain myself enough. i am kinda new at helping people. if u need more info just ask and i will explain it better if not just wait for someone else to answer!

I have the upgrade version of XP but as far as I know it will not install a boot menu option. I have triple-booted WinXP/98/Mandrake Linux with LILO but of course this also requires the installation of Linux.

Alan

Tweakfiend said:
With your multi boot system, you need to format in Fat 32 so both XP/98 can operate in Boot Magic.
When I installed 98 and xp separately 2 years ago , I installed 98 having disabled Bootmagic first.
Use Bootmagic floppy to boot in to 98 and tick xp multiboot option from Boot Magic/ Partition magic software.
You can install Boot Magic in Xp partition as well if you want.... but it wont like NTFS

If I'm interpreting what you say correctly I should install under Win98 to the FAT32 partition on my secondary IDE and then set up a Boot Magic floppy?

As Win98 can't see any of my NTFS partitions I was concerned that Boot Magic (installed under Win98) might suffer from the same problem.

Alan

shiatsu said:
If I'm interpreting what you say correctly I should install under Win98 to the FAT32 partition on my secondary IDE and then set up a Boot Magic floppy?

As Win98 can't see any of my NTFS partitions I was concerned that Boot Magic (installed under Win98) might suffer from the same problem.

Alan
Yes....... install Partition Magic in 98 , first disable multi boot option in Boot Magic .Make a boot magic floppy from software.
Boot from Boot Magic floppy having installed XP ( Fat 32) afterwards, and enable Multi boot option for XP in Boot Magic, when 98 has loaded.
Thereafter on next boot your choice of 98/XP system boot options appear.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back