boot.ini file missing

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by napalmnthemorning, Sep 1, 2003.

1. napalmnthemorning

napalmnthemorning Moderator

So I downloaded SyleXP and I downloaded some really cool wallpaper and themes and then I thought I'd get some new boot screens. So I'm reading the install instructions and when I go to extract to boot.ini file its NoT TheReeee... I did several searches in explorer. Anybody know where the _uck I put it,.. I mean where it went,.. Can I redownload from somewhere or can I extract from my XP disk..

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Make sure you're displaying hidden files as well as "protected operating system files" (uncheck those two boxes in Folder Options)
    boot.ini should be in your root directory (C:\)

3. napalmnthemorning

thanks NetRyder, I'm unchecking and searching now.. back in a flash.. Sorry I'm slow to reply since my mail accounts are _ucked up..

4. napalmnthemorning

Still couldn't find it. I have my primary drive as G: No sign of boot.ini What the ..... unchecked folder options.. weird..

5. NetRyder

Without the boot.ini file you wouldn't be able to get into Windows, so it has to be somewhere on your hard drive.

Open Windows Explorer, hit Tools>Folder Options. Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and select "Show hidden files and folders"

Then check again in G:\ (or the root directory of any other drive if it's not there)
    Let me know if you still can't find it.

6. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

The Boot.ini is always going to be placed on C:\ or the primary partition on the primary harddrive.

7. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Once you have found the boot.ini file what are you going to do with it?
    Me wonders what "..when I go to extract to boot.ini file.." means.

If you want to edit your boot.ini file you can do it in system properties.
    Right click "My Computer" icon > properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery - Settings > System startup - click the "edit" button. This opens boot.ini in notepad.

Btw. you know how to use recovery console, don't you?

8. NetRyder

9. napalmnthemorning

Sorry guys. Just got my email messages since Lycos went crazy this last week. So I "unchecked hide protected system files" and rebooted and ran a search in my G: drive (Primary) and only found the boot.ini notepad, and yoyo I'm looking for it so I can install some new boot screens from StyleXP, so other then that I don't need to find it.

10. yoyo

yoyo _________________

"boot.ini notepad" ???

11. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

well I know you can see whats in the boot.ini via msconfig....theres another command you can run which loads up boot, win, system ini files in an editor but I cant remember what it is off the top of my head....

12. napalmnthemorning

I don't know where else it would be YoYo. Like I said I was only needing it to load up some new boot screens from SyleXP. I'm probably not following the suggestions properly. I review and try again.