boot defrag

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by HipHopFaze, May 22, 2002.

1. HipHopFaze

HipHopFaze Guest

i know winxp has the option of boot defragging at the blue screen before going into windows, but i cant figure out how to invoke it.

any help?

thanks

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

Try the Diskeeper utility, much better than generic defragger that comes with windows.

www.executivesoftware.com

(will this start the "what defragger post" again)

3. ghayes

ghayes Microsoft MVP

"i know winxp has the option of boot defragging at the blue screen before going into windows, but i cant figure out how to invoke it."

Actually, this is incorrect. The built-in defragment doesn't provide the ability to perform a boot time defrag at all.

In order to get this capability (to defragment the pagefile, directories on FATx partitions, non-$MFT metadata, the hibernate file), you will need to look at a commercial defrag product. There are several that provide a boot time defrag capability:

PerfectDisk - www.raxco.com
    Diskeeper - www.execsoft.com
    O&O Defrag - www.oo-defrag.com

However, they differ in their ability to boot time defragment the files listed above (ie. most do not allow you to defragment the hibernate file).

- Greg/Raxco Software

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a commercial defrag utility and a competitor to the defrag products listed above, as a systems engineer in the support department.