boot crashing

G

GhettoPuNKkiD

I've started up my computer, and when it gets to a certain point, it freezes. :mad: I just remember accidentally hitting the computer itself, it rebotting and it got where it wouldnt load XP anymore. It locks up..any gives?

1. try booting into safe mode - reboot and hit F8, select "safe mode"
2. if that works, likely not hardware. If it doesn't work, try opening up the case (do you feel safe doing that?) and reconnecting all cables and reseating all cards (PCI and memory).
3. if still no go, try booting off floppy and run some kind of disk checking program (chkdsk or scandsk or something like that)

Report back what you find out. I'll try to respond with something more meaningful after we get some preliminary info. Good luck - and stop hitting your computer! :)

Jim

okay, im working on stuff right now, i just cant get the computer to power on now..great...

ummm, is it plugged in?

There's also a way to have Windoze log everything it's doing as it boots. I think it writes it out to \boot.log. Unfortunately, this might not be all that useful since it does tons of stuff when it boots up.

I know some versions of Windoze allow you to confirm stuff before the OS does it at boot time. That might be another one of the options on the boot menu (when you hit F8).

You have powerpoint? I have a presentation from M$ that talks about XP startup/shutdown problems. Might contain a few kernels of useful info.

Jim

well, i got it up...i donno what was wrong... eh..thanks for your help ;)

for gods sake man, don't hit her. there should be a law against this kinda stuff...

my bad.. ;) its still lagging a bit at boot time..but it loads..hmm odd..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back