Boot Beep Code

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wessleym, Oct 17, 2003.

1. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

My system has begun to beep everytime I boot. It's just one beep, and I know that it's supposed to mean everything's okay. But it didn't start beeping until yesterday, and now it's really annoying. How can I turn it off? Thanks.

2. Eck

Eck .user

Unplug your system speaker from the motherboard.

3. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Is that the only way?

4. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

omg...i cant believe you bought an alienware.

why dont you ask them?

5. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Why can't you believe I bought an Alienware? I'm gonna ask them, but in the meantime, does anyone know how to fix it?

6. Eck

Eck .user

I told you how to fix it. Unless there's an option to change it in CMOS, that's the only way. "Beep on successful post" might be in there, I think I've seen it in some CMOSs, really not sure.

7. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Aren't the CMOS and BIOS setups the same thing? If they are, there's no option to do anything like that in my BIOS setup. I probably won't disconnect my speaker because I still want to hear important beep codes. I think disconnection may be my only option though. I'm still open to other ideas. Thanks.

8. Eck

Eck .user

To the common user, BIOS and CMOS are the same thing. But they actually aren't. BIOS is a set of programs on your motherboard responsible for starting/operating your computer. If I recall correctly, the programs are POST, CMOS, and the bootstrap loader. It's been a while though. CMOS is the part that contains changable settings.

So yeah, unplugging the speaker is the only thing. Seriously though, how annoying can a single beep be when you turn on your computer? The beep should signify "Ahh yes, my computer still works." to you. Does to me anyway. And I just leave my computer on all the time too, so it's not like I ever hear it...

9. dubstar

dubstar format c:

its in the BIOS, check again.

10. wessleym

wessleym OSNN Addict

Yeah, I check again, and the option wasn't there.