Blue screen at boot

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
When I try and boot Windows (XP Pro, SP1, all updates etc) I receive the following blue screen
STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The session manager initialization system process terminated un-expectedly with a status of 0x000009a (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shutdown
It did this yesterday too, but it worked fine again after a reboot, so I thought nothing more of it. But now it is impossible to gain access to windows except via safe mode.

Any Ideas ?

Nothing new installed that I can recall.
Tried last know good config, tried a system restore to yesterday, didn't work, tried to about a week ago, again didn't work.

Hmmm, ok.
I tried multiple times to open system restore but it refused to open telling me there was not enough space, and to create 200mb free on c:\.. regardless of the fact I had just created 4.09GB of free space.
I opened IE, which has it's homepage as WindowsUpdate, it tells me there's a "new" sound-card driver update apparently issued from July 26th (think that was the date.. a while back anyway) so I think why not.. Install that, and everything works again... for now at least.
I'm guessing the driver did have something to do with it.. just what though?

i got that sound driver update available too. theres a video display driver available there as well. Havent installed either because I'm not sure what they update. I wouldnt bet on this being the problem though...

Ok, I just installed the .NET framework from windows update and it's doing it again, this is ****ing ridiculous. If I try and boot from the XP cd it just gets to the "setup is inspecting your configuration" or whatever screen then resets. So I can't even re-install Windows....

Speedy_B:
If you have Partition Magic installed, you should take a look here: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1048008618

My first step would be to go into the BIOS and load defaults. Then, I'd check the drive cabling, etc. to ensure you're using a good cable. Also, be sure your hard drive isn't overheating. Most likely, it's related to your hard drive or motherboard.

If the XP boot CD locks up *every* time, you probably have a bad piece of hardware. Try to power off, let the system rest for awhile to see if the XP CD still locks. If it doesn't, you've probably got an overheating component.

Hope this helps...

It's just getting stupid now. I'm posting this from safe mode, I've used system restore, I can't use sfc because this comes up:
C:\>sfc /scannow
Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.

The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.].

C:\>
So I can't boot, I can't boot from CD to use the recovery console or even re-install windows... wtf am I supposed to do? Seriously beginning to get pissed off. :(

J05H, no partition magic here. will go reset the bios though, see if that helps.

Resetting the bios seems to have sorted it (for, lets say.. 5 minutes?). I have everything backed up to the extend that I want, it's just that not being able to get into windows is quite annoying :confused:

See if your BIOS has a "Load Fail-safe defaults". If so, use it. It will cause your system to run slower, but perhaps it will at least run. Be sure to go back and "Load Defaults" later.

If this works, it might be one of your memory modules (hopefully you have more than 1). Try to swap out one at a time, to see if a single module is causing the problem. (Load defaults, if needed, to cause the lock to occur again)

If memory is not the problem, I have seen a few times before where the processor is overheating and locks. The way to tell this is to let the system cool (15 minutes) and see if it lasts much longer after you wait. If so the processor might need more thermal grease on it. If you're not familiar working with CPUs, I wouldn't take any chances doing so. You can buy a tube of thermal grease for about $5.

Good luck!

hmm, from Aumha.org:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x21a
0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

This occurs when Windows switches into kernel mode and a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (CSRSS), is compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. Because Win XP can’t run without Winlogon or CSRSS, this is one of the few situations where the failure of a user-mode service can cause the system to stop responding. This Stop message also can occur when the computer is restarted after a system administrator has modified permissions so that the SYSTEM account no longer has adequate permissions to access system files and folders.

Since you could get in through safe mode that points to a driver/peripheral issue:

Sound-
LAN-
Modem-
Video- unlikely since you could see the BSOD

If the gremlin comes back turn off sound and lan in bios (or pull the cards) and pull the modem card if any.

Then try to boot into windows and see if it works for a while. If it does start putting stuff back one at a time until the problem recurs.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back