Blu-Ray quality not that great on my PC

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Vanquished, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Hey Everyone,
    So I just purchased an LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray drive for my PC and the image quality is not what I was expecting...

I've tried PowerDVD 12 and WinDVD Pro 11 and so far WinDVD has provided a clearer image but its still not great (PS3 quality). PowerDVD quality is pretty terrible. I'm assuming that something in settings is causing the image problems but I can't figure out what it is. On PowerDVD the image is blurry (kinda looks like a water-painting) and on WinDVD the image isn't blurry but its got a lot of noise...

My Computer Specs are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II 955BE
    GPU: (2) ATI 5770 in XFire
    RAM: 4 x 4GB 1600mhz
    PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W
    MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA UD3
    BD: LG WH14NS40

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked around the net but haven't been able to find anyone with this problem. If it's any help, Windows Media Player always looks blurry (water-color) when playing avis or mp4s, they look fine in VLC (not high quality obviously but not blurry)

Thanks,
    -Vanq

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

If your monitor native resolution does not match the Blu Ray resolution the vid card or monitor is probably trying to inerpolate the pixels which will make the image blurry. Try setting the video card to the blu ray 1920×1080 pixel standard. If your monitor has more native pixels you will get a black border, if fewer pixels it may not work.

TV screens may have the same issue but if you are8-10 feet away the doesn't notice the blurring as badly.

Or it could be a cable issue. Make sure you use a decent HDMI cable, analog cables will produce noise or bluring.

Could be the vid card, but last I checked ATI is supposed to be the best for entertainment quality video.
    Make sure your video card drivers are up to date, possibly try older ones (newest often are intended to support top of the line cards and may not work best for an older card).

3. Vanquished

My monitor is a 22 inch 1080p 1920X1080 LED AOC... I'm using a DVI cable at the moment but have used HDMI cables as well. I tried it on my DLP and it looked better, but as you said, I'm not sure if its because I'm farther back or whatever.

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I had an AOC that was blurry on everything...

Make sure there's no image processing taking place. My initial guess is conversion from 24 or 30 frames to 60 frames.

5. Vanquished

Where would I check that? Only the blu-rays are blurry though, the desktop looks fine. And other videos as well

6. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

It would be in whatever software you are using.