Blog Software - recommendations?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Well... I am vaguely toying with the idea of blogging a little for various reasons (probably too much time on my hands, I think that is the usual reason!).

Anyway, I do realise the vast majority of people use blog sites like livejournal etc.

BUT then again I am technically savvy, I like to think, and I have paid out for a domain and Lord is kind enough to do the hosting thing for me (thankyou thankyou!)....

So I had a look around and have found there are these offerings in the open source arena that I might look into further... b2Evolution bBlog BLOG:CMS Blojsom Blosxom MovableType Nucleus Pivot Serendipity SPIP .Text TextPattern WordPress

Anyone have any experience of or opinions in this area? I am half tempted towards Blojsom or Moveable type cause not sure I want to bother with databases and these use flat files. Then again Lord may not be hosting with the Java stuff....

In fact there is every chance Lord could post here and tell me to get along over to Blogspot or Livejournal and stay off his server for one reason or another, but I doubt that.... It's not like I'm set to become a meme merchant or anything.

Anyway - found no threads for this and thought it worth throwing out there for discussion.

I agree, wordpress is the best.

I get the feeling there is going to be a consensus here! Anyone got anything to say about any of the others? I'll happily go with Wordpress, but there is a part of me that likes to support the underdogs or "be different" so I may try another - then if it does not work out for me go back to wordpress anyway :rolleyes: :nervous: :dead: ;) :laugh: Course if I do that I'll be sure and post my experiences here.... :up:

well - could mean I set up my own DNS... but that was not what I had in mind... still was interesting to have a look at so threadworthy...

Wordpress is still a steaming pile of crap. My room mates are using it on a new site they are building, and they have had so many issues with it. They finally got it to work the way they wanted it to work.

I personally would suggest Chyrp. It is still new to the field, but from my testing it is fairly stable and easy to theme. I currently run Drupal on my blog. Once you get over the fact that it is an entire CMS as well, it is very powerful and you can do some neat things with it.

Moved to the proper category. This is not limited to Windows nor is it an Windows application

Thanks X for moving the thread and the suggestion - that looks a worthy tool for the more software engineer minded... I have not committed to Wordpress yet, but I believe it DOES have a somewhat larger user base, no doubt in large part to getting off the starting blocks about four years before Chyrp. I think you should ignore Geffys teasing - but I'm surprised you have such a down on Wordpress.

I guess my main reservation with Chyrp might be that I could end up spending too much time fiddling around and getting pulled into coding when the aim of the game is to use the tool and do some Blogging.

At the end of the day my choice is probably going to be heavily influenced by what my host prefers though... and the man said Wordpress ;)

Eh, no need to tinker to get Chyrp to blog. That is what it is meant to do.

Geffy: That is when most projects are worked on, since that is when the free time is available! :p

well - being the perverse animal that I am maybe I'll go with Chyrp as it happens - far as I can make out Lord would never know ('cept I just said :dead:) and y'see I know for a fact that Chyrp supports and RSS and Worpress has an RSS import plug-in - sooooo in theory I could "easily" jump-ship and switch horses down the line whilst preserving content!....

I bought the domain.... now I just have to think/find blogworthiness.

Anyone wants to know the domain - it's linked to my sig :cool:

I'm not really all that bothered what you use as long as it works on my server :)

I can redirect DNS elsewhere for you too if you really need it.

HMMMmmmm I could go off Chyrp!

I have seemingly installed and set up - all well and good only took five or ten minutes and all seemed well...

So I write my first ever blog for the new site - and go to hit save, or publish, and....
Code:
Fatal error: Call to a member function title() on a non-object in /home/wrighton/public_html/didactic.me/chyrp_2.0rc1/includes/helpers.php on line 656

I'll give it a day or so, see how readily it may or may not be fixed - then it may be over to wordpress it seems....

But nothing ventured nothing gained

[edit]Looks like that hiccup was a result of entering an alternate URL - that'll learn me - interesting error handling there though![/edit]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back