Blocking particular attachments in Outlook

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mr. K, May 28, 2004.

1. Mr. K

Mr. K OSNN Occasional

Greetings,

It's easy enough to set a rule in Outlook that blocks/redirects incoming messages with attachments, but is there a way to discriminate based on the type of attachment?

For example, I want to block all messages with *.pif attachments, but allow all other attachments. Is it possible for Outlook to do this? If not, is there a plug-in that does this?

Thanks for your time.

2. RazerBack

RazerBack The First Rebirth

I'm not sure what you mean by block, as in not being able to receive the email at all (being deleted without looking at it) or just blocking access to the pif file (can't open).

For the later I use Outlook Permissions Addin 1.1

3. Mr. K

Mr. K OSNN Occasional

Sorry for not being clearer. I want to be able to delete entire messages with *.pif attachments. Preferably, Outlook would delete them before downloading them from the POP server, but if they must be downloaded I don't want to see the message at all in my inbox--I'd like it to be permantently deleted immediately.

Is this possible?

4. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

I've been looking for the exact same feature you are looking for. So far, I haven't stumbled upon anything resembling it. What I do is have all my mail fetched automatically in intervals from the remote pop server using fetchmail on Linux. The mail is passed through SpamAssasin and ClamAV both of which append [spam] or [virus: virusname] to the subject if needed. I use my local server as my POP server ... that way I can filter the messages in Outlook using the subject.

If you have access to a local Linux server, this might be the best way until Microsoft builds the features into Outlook itself.