Block Program via Registry?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamliner77, Dec 19, 2003.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

My roommate is addicted to EverQuest. Trying to break him of the addiction, was wondering if there is a way to block the game from running and from him reinstalling. He's pretty good with windows xp so alot of normal avenues won't work. I was thinking that perhaps there's a way to add something to the EQ registry key that would stop the game from loading and also keep it from being reinstalled. Some registry experts might know what I"m talking about.

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

you could find all the registry keys the game uses, and use the permissions in the XP regedit to block him from reading them.

3. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Light
    I found the best way to stop a game addiction was to uninstall it, then give away your copy to a friend. Worked like a charm. Obviously, self-control is a large factor and if you really want to stop playing some effort is needed. In addition, to fill the spare time not playing creates, you might want to take up some other hobby or even better a physical exercise.

Medium
    Another option you could consider is slapping a password on your firewall/router controls and just block the ports EverQuest needs to connect to the internet. Problem solved. :D

Heavy
    If unmotivated your best bet would probably be to put on a program that limits the amount of time the computer can be used at once and which times during the day. I have seen a few out there that do exactly this. However, if as you say he were reasonably fluent with XP some major security policy changes would most likely be needed (so he cannot turn the program off easily). This or modifying the registry is pretty drastic though.

4. dreamliner77

I think he'll figure out anything like any security programs. I'll take a look at permissions though.

5. dreamliner77

okay, after looking at permissions, I think now all i need to do is corrupt the keys, and then change the permissions so only I could change them. Except, could the keys be overwritten if he reinstalls?

6. cpugeniusmv

not if he doesn't have permission to read/write to them :)

7. dreamliner77

So, I could go in, find the keys (sony) and delete the subkeys and then lock down the permissions?

8. cpugeniusmv

exactly.

9. dreamliner77

will try it out as soon as he takes off for a bit...hehehe

10. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

doesn't this seem wrong to anyone else?

11. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

:D but oh so amusing

12. G|ass

G|ass Guest

Tread carefully with Everquest geeks, he'll be more likely to devein your genitalia with a clam knife then take up another hobby. He will have nothing to lose.

13. dreamliner77

I know, but it will be oh so fun to watch.

14. henne

henne OSNN One Post Wonder

15. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

16. dreamliner77