Bizzare File-Sharing Problem

I'm trying to setup a network between 2 computers, one laptop and one desktop, both running XP Home. Both computers can access the internet. The laptop can access the desktop's shares. The desktop, however, does not have access to laptop. The laptop shows up as a "workgroup computer" but its shared resources do not appear in My Network Places. Mapping a network drive fails because I "may not have permission to access this network resource” Attempting to access the laptop via Workgroup Computers yields the same permissions error. I have disabled all firewalls, and ensured that the XP firewall is disabled on both computers.

I just don't understand why the laptop can connect to the desktop without any problems at all, while the desktop can't connect for anything. When I visit friends, I can hop on their wireless or wired networks and immediately have file sharing. I don't get this one.

try this
say the name of the machine is "wh0r3"

in run type in " \\wh0r3"
without quotations

tell me if that works

I tried it, but got an error message saying that the network path could not be found

EDIT:

I finally got it working. Seems the problem was that NetBios was not installed on my laptop. I knew that it was required for networking, and made sure that it was installed on the desktop, but never thought to check it on the laptop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back