Bittorrent slows internet connection to a halt...

vivid_vibe

OSNN Senior Addict
I use the original Bittorrent client 4.0.1 and whenever I have downloads going it slows every other web app to a halt. It's noticable with one download going and is just horrible if I'm downloading three. Has anyone else experienced this? I could understand if the downloads were draining my bandwith, but right now for instance, I have three going at around 20 KB/s each and web surfing, checking e-mail, etc. is unbearably slow. My connection is 4000/512 and I usually stay pretty speedy online. I will switch bittorrent clients if necessary. Can anyone suggest one, and will that help? I will appreciate any suggestions (and rep them, of course).

edit: I tried re-installing bittorrent, and I have used cablenut to optimize my internet connection.

vivid

You need to limit your upload speed, thats what kills your net connetion. I use azureus linkie: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ All I do is goto network and enter the new upload speed, I have 386up so I limit mine to 10-15 leaving enough for my to use the net.

Using bandwidth will lower your speed .. Get Azureus and limit your speed ..

or G3 torrent if you dont want a java app slowing up the whole damn pc...

zeke_mo said:
You need to limit your upload speed, thats what kills your net connetion. I use azureus linkie: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ All I do is goto network and enter the new upload speed, I have 386up so I limit mine to 10-15 leaving enough for my to use the net.
I have found you can use alot more upload and still have other net thigns be usable. I normaly have it set to about 80-85% of the total upload speed

What pisses me off about torrents are peers that suck up my bandwidth and won't let me have some of theirs.

I give when idle 50kbs-1, I barley get 30 myself even though I can receive 250kbs-1.

I was downloading a free film, took nearly 3 days, there was about 80 peers at one point least was 5.

pffft thats nothing...

At work I'll often be pushing upwards of 20-40mbps to peers and wondering why I'm only getting 5-20kbps in return...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. zeke_mo, I tried setting my maximum upload rate to 15 KB/s and it seemed to help somewhat. Think I'll try downloading G3 and Bitcomet. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back