Bittorrent slows internet connection to a halt...

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by vivid_vibe, May 2, 2005.

1. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

I use the original Bittorrent client 4.0.1 and whenever I have downloads going it slows every other web app to a halt. It's noticable with one download going and is just horrible if I'm downloading three. Has anyone else experienced this? I could understand if the downloads were draining my bandwith, but right now for instance, I have three going at around 20 KB/s each and web surfing, checking e-mail, etc. is unbearably slow. My connection is 4000/512 and I usually stay pretty speedy online. I will switch bittorrent clients if necessary. Can anyone suggest one, and will that help? I will appreciate any suggestions (and rep them, of course).

edit: I tried re-installing bittorrent, and I have used cablenut to optimize my internet connection.

vivid

2. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

You need to limit your upload speed, thats what kills your net connetion. I use azureus linkie: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ All I do is goto network and enter the new upload speed, I have 386up so I limit mine to 10-15 leaving enough for my to use the net.

vivid_vibe likes this.
  3. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Using bandwidth will lower your speed .. Get Azureus and limit your speed ..

vivid_vibe likes this.
  4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

or G3 torrent if you dont want a java app slowing up the whole damn pc...

vivid_vibe likes this.
  5. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Bitcomet is also resource efficient.

vivid_vibe likes this.
  6. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

I have found you can use alot more upload and still have other net thigns be usable. I normaly have it set to about 80-85% of the total upload speed

vivid_vibe likes this.
  7. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

What pisses me off about torrents are peers that suck up my bandwidth and won't let me have some of theirs.

I give when idle 50kbs-1, I barley get 30 myself even though I can receive 250kbs-1.

I was downloading a free film, took nearly 3 days, there was about 80 peers at one point least was 5.

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

pffft thats nothing...

At work I'll often be pushing upwards of 20-40mbps to peers and wondering why I'm only getting 5-20kbps in return...

9. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. zeke_mo, I tried setting my maximum upload rate to 15 KB/s and it seemed to help somewhat. Think I'll try downloading G3 and Bitcomet. Thanks again.