Bittorrent Problems

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Fenris, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Fenris

Fenris OSNN Senior Addict

After about 10min of using bittorent ABC client the new version, it also happened with the Shadow version of bittorent. Anyway my router seems to lose connection. It still says I am connected to the internet even though I can’t open or ping any web pages. I lowered the port ranges down from 6881-6999 to 6881-6884. I also lowered the number of simultaneous connections from 20 to 15. On kazaa I always use 20 simultaneous connections so there shouldn’t be any problem with that part of the configuration.

Is there something wrong with the amount of ports I have opened for it? Does anyone know how many ports kazaa opens maybe ill just try and lower it to that amount?

I know it has something to do with the router, before I started using the router bittorent worked just fine.

2. theevilsithlord

theevilsithlord Hail to the King, Baby!

i think kazaa just uses one - 1214

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

hmm.. that is odd. you have the ports you have chosen forwarded to your machine right?

4. Fenris

not sure if i do or not which means i probably dont what setting would i look under to do that?

5. Xie

should be under a tab labeled something like "forwarding" or something similiar. you need to put in the port range like 6881-6884 and then choose ip of your machine :)

6. Fenris

alright thanks just found it :) just need to find the ip of my machine

edit** nvm i think i found it

7. Xie

open command line and do "ipconfig"

8. Fenris

Thanks for the help Xie hopefully that will fix the problem :D ill know in 10min :p

9. Xie

check this out ... whole page is kinda helpful actually :)

10. Fenris

Well didn’t work again and I'm sure I’m forwarding the ports checked again. I checked and I’m not using the XP firewall so I’m still not sure what’s going on. I tried all the tips on that page, doesn’t seem to want to work for me.

11. Fenris

I got rid of port forwarding since I read you should only forward 10 ports at a time, so I turned on DMZ which should put me outside of the router and allow this computer to get information through the ports needed. It still doesnt work though im getting the same problem as before :(

12. Fenris

I’m getting the green light so I know I can access other computers and they can access me.

13. Kush

Kush High On Life!

btw what opens a bittorrent file?

14. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/#where

You what I just found out? I run bt for about 4 months now (using Burst!) and I finally found the cause of not being able to connect to most (99%) of the trackers. I forgot to open up the ports on my router! This is what you call D'OH!

15. Xie

the bittorent file that you download you open w/ the bittorenet client and it downloads the file in whatever format it says it is ... not a special file type or something.

16. Xie

hehe .. welcome to the working BT world :D

17. Fenris

well someone in my class told me i have to download the original bittorent then the ABC version because the ABC version doesnt have all the important files. So i did that just now and am hoping that will fix all my troubles.

edit** well it still doesnt work same problem again.

18. Fenris

Everyone out of ideas?

19. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Use Burst? That is the only version I have used besides the original (command window) bitTorrent version.

While on the subject, the minimum upload speed you can set is 10KB/s, but my maximum upload is 16 KB/s, you can imagine when I have more than 2 downloads open, my upload clogs up. Does anyone know a client which I can use in the same organized way as Burst, where you can set the upload to <10 KB/s?

20. Xie

*cough*ABC*cough*