Bit of a tricky one, need some advanced help please!

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Skunk141, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

I have a machine that connects to a VPN server 50 miles away that I have no physical access to, I use it for Outlook 2000, this collects mail and sends fine, now this server is due to go offline as the company is going bust so I just need to download all the messages to my hard disk, how can this be done, as far as I can see the messages never download on to my hard disk??

It is a Microsoft Exchange server set up.

I have had a look but can't work it out, there is about 50 folders totalling 1.5gig!

I am fairly computer literate so complicated instructions can be followed.

If you can help, thanks in advance guys :)

2. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

is outlook 2000 on the server you accessing or are you using it on your machine? which you are VPN'ing from. you could allways save all files to a .pst file. tools/ services and set it up from there after that just save that .pst file and you can merge it into any other outlook or you can load it like a archive.

3. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

Thanks for the quick reply

I'm not at the machine atm, I will get to it in the morning.

Outlook is on my local machine, so you say tools/services will be the option to use, you mentioned setting it up is it pretty self explanatory?

4. VenomXt

yah look at it and what you want to do is set up a pst file using tool/ services make a location for new mail to be delivered and then set it to be delivered there ina nother tab that will download the mail into a pst on your computer. this way you will have the old mail. After that you can load it into outlook as a archive if you want. Any questions at all feel free to ask.

5. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

ive done this quite a few times and is the easiest way. over a VPN and a large profile, may take a long time to do. ive had a profile over a gig in email that took 2 hours to populate all the info locally. mind you it was on a 10mb network :lick:

6. Skunk141

Skunk141 OSNN Addict

Thanks guys I will try this tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes...

7. VenomXt

np glad to help you. Like IDLE said if you acually have a gig of email it gona take along time to do this and id advise planning not to use your computer too heavly when you do it as well.