Biostar GEFORCE 6100 AM2 motherboard and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by biscuitfeeder, Mar 1, 2008.

1. biscuitfeeder

biscuitfeeder OSNN One Post Wonder

I have the Biostar GEFORCE 6100 AM2 motherboard and i want to purchase a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU to put in it but before i go and spend my hard earned money i just wanted to see if anyone on here can tell me if there would be any kind of compatibility issues? I have also seen that you can over-clock it quite a bit and was also wondering if anybody had any suggestions as far as CPU fans that should go on this monster CPU?

Any help is much appreciated :classic:

Thanks

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

it will mostly likely work, as long as you're sure you have an AM2 board. give us a model number and we can look it up and find out for sure or you can go to http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/index.php to look up your board and find out for yourself.

3. biscuitfeeder

I checked and this appears to be the motherboard that is in my system: GEFORCE 6100-M9 SOCKET 939 Does this mean i have to use a 939 chip-set processor "only"?

4. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

5. Erbmaster

Erbmaster Moderator Folding Team

The 939 doesn't refer to a chipset.
    It means you simply have to use a processor with 939 pins to fit the 939 holes on the CPU socket :)

Looks like you're stuck with 4800+ as the maximum.
    I did try to find a BIOS update to increase this ceiling limit, but couldn't.
    You may have more luck though having more pertinent information to hand when you look.
    I hit a wall when presented with the following.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/cpusupport939.asp#GEFORCE%206100-M9

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

6. biscuitfeeder

So should just an AM 2 Processor work with this motherboard? I am thinking like this: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.4ghZ(2400Mhz) Dual Core Socket AM2 L2 Cache:512KB x2 CMOS

7. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

All AM2 CPU's are 940 pin count.

If you are using a 939 pin count CPU, you won't be able to use a 940 pin CPU

Heeter

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

make SURE you know which motherboard you have before buying a processor. a good way to do this is to look on the motherboard itself for a model printed in large print right on the board. like "GeForce6100-M7" for instance. or download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com and run it. it will tell you under the Mainboard tab.