Bioshock

I played the demo last night, and was pretty disappointed. Its an absolutely awesome premise.... but the execution is horrible. Its extremely linear and if you vear from the clear path at all and end up in some back corner you see how little detail there is in the environment. Bland textures and low poly models galore.

To be honest the graphics in the main areas did not wow me that much either. Perhaps its the demo, but the textures are low rez and lack any real definition. Its obvious this is a console game that has been ruined by the limitations of inherent of being so. Its a shame really, such an awesome idea of a game ruined for such silly reasons. If they had developed it for PC first and Console second it would be been so much better. (on both platforms most likely)

*sigh*

Unfortunately I think this reoccurring theme in games wont stop anytime soon. The only way to let developers know we wont tolerate this reduced quality is to not buy the games. So, I wont be buying this game.

Fwiw, it does get better past the light-house level, which is an introduction of sorts. Also, the demo gives you a lot of tools that you otherwise have to find yourself through puzzles, so that's different.

The game doesn't look as good as some others, i.e. FEAR or HL2 (imo) because some of the textures simply look like crap. But, the water is unbelievable and the mods you can do to things like the revolver are kind of cool.

I still don't quite understand how people are giving this 100% scores. There is no way this game deserves more than 80-85%.

Anyone else find the slow lunge the character does annoying?

Explain? Not sure what this is :(

But, it is a console port so there are going to be obvious, consolized mannerisms (i.e. the sluggish mouse movement and what not).

Explain? Not sure what this is :(

But, it is a console port so there are going to be obvious, consolized mannerisms (i.e. the sluggish mouse movement and what not).

If I am mistaken, was this not originally a PC game?

It's based off of system shock, which was a PC game, if that's what you mean.

But the current game was developed for the Xbox360 and was then released for the PC. The porting is obvious because of the many gameplay features.

It also makes it that much more amusing that it is a TWIMTBP game :cool:

Fwiw, it does get better past the light-house level, which is an introduction of sorts. Also, the demo gives you a lot of tools that you otherwise have to find yourself through puzzles, so that's different.

The game doesn't look as good as some others, i.e. FEAR or HL2 (imo) because some of the textures simply look like crap. But, the water is unbelievable and the mods you can do to things like the revolver are kind of cool.

I still don't quite understand how people are giving this 100% scores. There is no way this game deserves more than 80-85%.

Well, part of me still wants the game if anything just due to the awesome theme. Maybe I will play it at a friends house or something, I just don't want to give them $50 for it.

It's based off of system shock, which was a PC game, if that's what you mean.

But the current game was developed for the Xbox360 and was then released for the PC. The porting is obvious because of the many gameplay features.

It also makes it that much more amusing that it is a TWIMTBP game :cool:

That's part of it, but I remember when it was just talked about, and some early screenshots etc, that people were saying this is going to be an amazing PC game. I guess I was confused.

Well Bman, everyone was under the assumption that it was going to be a PC title that was ported to console. When this is the case the quality of the game is usually higher since the PC gets the higher quality assets it can use and the consoles get what their hardware can support and everyone is happy. When its the other way around, usually the PC gets the short end of the stick. Textures stay lower quality from console to pc rather than getting higher rez ones, and same thing with other various parts. Sprite/particle effects and model poly counts come to mind.

Then there is actual gameplay and how you interact with the world. Bioshock has that disconnected feeling that so many console shooters have. Its really really unfortunate and it just furthers my frustration in what consoles are doing to the gaming world.

Laggy mouse and key movements, almost unnatural.

Well Bman, everyone was under the assumption that it was going to be a PC title that was ported to console. When this is the case the quality of the game is usually higher since the PC gets the higher quality assets it can use and the consoles get what their hardware can support and everyone is happy. When its the other way around, usually the PC gets the short end of the stick. Textures stay lower quality from console to pc rather than getting higher rez ones, and same thing with other various parts. Sprite/particle effects and model poly counts come to mind.

Then there is actual gameplay and how you interact with the world. Bioshock has that disconnected feeling that so many console shooters have. Its really really unfortunate and it just furthers my frustration in what consoles are doing to the gaming world.

Great detail and yea I feel the same way.

I get 25-35 FPS in the opening scene with the fire and water, running a video record of it at full quality causes my frame rate to drop to unplayable 19ish. 1680X1050 full settings.

Movie later.

From the 2-3 I've read it seems like it gets 100% because of the story.

Maybe you'll think differently after finishing it?

I've played a good bit of it, I am still not sure how anyone can give this 100%.

The original Half-Life, Deus Ex and perhaps another game or two here and there deserve to be in the 90's. Giving this 100 is a total cop-out. I mean, does no one notice the absolutely nauseous FOV issue :cool:

I played the Demo for a brief while

My system can just about handle it ... ish although not enough to actually buy the game. I really need a whole new system.

from the bits that i played the game seemed ok, more than good enough for my tates. I look forward to playing it in the future (maybe in a year)

even the demo has a rootkit!

http://consumerist.com/consumer/pun...virus-software-ruins-everyones-day-292841.php

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5993

poor pc gamers getting shafted again, made to pay for a crap game.. and geta free rootkit.. nice one!

still cant understand why it got such high reviews, poor to average graphics and dull gameplay.. (xboxb360)

is about time people stopped buying games with drm/rootkits and stupid protections in... once again the only people that benefit, are people who download a pirated/fixed version..
paying customers shafted.. boycott these companies & ignore the hype..

edit..........................

an update re: DRM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/draconian_bioshock_drm_eased/

Last edited:
I played the demo on my system and it ran perfectly with all settings maxxed @1680x1050, even though I could not get the demo to run on Vista, which was disappointing. I was hoping to see some DX10 effects. I like the creepiness of the game. I will probably pick it up soon.

even the demo has a rootkit!

http://consumerist.com/consumer/pun...virus-software-ruins-everyones-day-292841.php

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5993

poor pc gamers getting shafted again, made to pay for a crap game.. and geta free rootkit.. nice one!

still cant understand why it got such high reviews, poor to average graphics and dull gameplay.. (xboxb360)

is about time people stopped buying games with drm/rootkits and stupid protections in... once again the only people that benefit, are people who download a pirated/fixed version..
paying customers shafted.. boycott these companies & ignore the hype..

edit..........................

an update re: DRM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/draconian_bioshock_drm_eased/

I am not having any issues. Finished and am just lounging around the levels, trying out new things.

Too many people complain about security. If many of those complainers didn't pirate, we wouldn't have issues.

That being said, the activation's limit and related issues for the owners with media were daft. The game devs didn't really think that through very well.

Alright, I broke down and bought it. I still love it. I can see where the graphics can definitely be better. With my system, it still runs smooth at max settings at 1680x1050. I will be trying on Vista next, to see if there is anyimprovement with DX10.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back