Bioshock

I just tried running the game without those "beta bioshock" drivers, and it crashed on me within 5mins. I hate when you need special drivers for it. WTF

I'm thinking about stopping by Bestbuy on my way home from work tonight and picking up a copy. Those of you that do have it already, how do you like it? My demo dl has not finished yet... and is still going slow.

Video card is everything in this game. I have a weak athlon 64 3700, but I'm running at 1280x1024 with everything literally maxed in the demo (DX9, XP). Looks great and framerates are 50-70 pretty much all the time.

8800GTS 640 overclocked, though. It helps a lot.

Good to hear Petros, that seems to be the consensus around the web. It runs great on the 8 series and 2900's.

How do you like the gameplay though?

_kc_ what is it about it that you don't care for?

How do you like the gameplay though?

I also am not a fan of twitch and move, but I DO like exploration/experimentation, and this game has it in spades. So far it is a story on rails like Half Life, but rails are a useful tool if you keep the player from noticing it too much.

A person might miss out on about a third of what this game has to offer if they are playing in stereo. The developers have taken great pains to make this sound like a living, breathing world, and you can hear all the eerie details around you. Every footstep, breath, creak, bloop, splash, and spark can be heard very naturally. It doesn't feel over-produced at all...very organic.

Maybe I'm a little too excited about the sound, but it's something that few games explore enough. Like the Thief series, sound is incorporated as a game mechanic, and the better the positional audio, the more it draws you in.

Yar. Not to bad of game play (based of the demo) and smooth graphics. Texture on signage. More playing later I gotta clean up for class. Laterz

4400+ X2, 2 GB memory, Vista Ultimate, 1950xt.

Running @ 1680x1050, all effects maxed. Pity there does not appear to be any AA in this game, but the game itself runs decent enough. I am averaging in the mid-40's with the occasional dips to the mid-20's and peaks in the 60's.

I am not exactly giddy at the quality of the game (that ridiculous background texture in teh opening section past the light-house made me laugh harder than any crap texture in a game in the past 2 years) but once you get inside, the levels aren't bad.

You know its an Xbox port by how poorly the controls are mapped and you move and react, but there is enough to keep you plugging along. I am only about an hour or so in the game at the moment.

Some screenshots posted below. I thought I was capturing with the FPS counter mapped to the picture but unfortunately I turned it off for some reason :( Only the picture with a lot of water was in the 30's (about 35fps), all the others were in the 40's and 50's.

So, does it live up to its hype?

I'll grab a copy when I get my 360.

gonna try the demo first. see if my rig can handle it

gonna try the demo first. see if my rig can handle it

Same here. I'm gonna run it on XP Pro SP2 with a GeForce 6800 Ultra, 2 Gigs of RAM and an Athlon 64 4000+. Oh and those Beta drivers. Here's hopin.

Took 6 hours to D/L. :s

So, does it live up to its hype?

I'll grab a copy when I get my 360.

I have a distinct MEH feeling while playing it. It is such an obvious console game and all the hype really left me feeling underwhelmed.

It's also, aside from the water, not that great looking.

The AI is decent but the game is about as linear as you can get, very different than the "OMG, it's OPEN".

Still, it has enough different elements to keep me interested.

I played the demo last night, and was pretty disappointed. Its an absolutely awesome premise.... but the execution is horrible. Its extremely linear and if you vear from the clear path at all and end up in some back corner you see how little detail there is in the environment. Bland textures and low poly models galore.

To be honest the graphics in the main areas did not wow me that much either. Perhaps its the demo, but the textures are low rez and lack any real definition. Its obvious this is a console game that has been ruined by the limitations of inherent of being so. Its a shame really, such an awesome idea of a game ruined for such silly reasons. If they had developed it for PC first and Console second it would be been so much better. (on both platforms most likely)

*sigh*

Unfortunately I think this reoccurring theme in games wont stop anytime soon. The only way to let developers know we wont tolerate this reduced quality is to not buy the games. So, I wont be buying this game.

No on steam got the same error as me? I will look tonight to see if I can connect to key server I was not able yesterday early evening, after that I dont know, I slept at my girlfriends place...

After a bit more playing I wold say HL:2 with the high res pack is the same at least, if not better looking, and much smoother and less jerky.

Anyone else find the slow lunge the character does annoying?

I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 GB Ram, and an Nvidia 7600 GT 256 MB GDDR3. Windows XP, Direct-X 9c. All the graphics settings defaulted to high. Runs great and looks beautiful.

I just couldn't access the Direct-X 10 options.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back