Bios settings dont stay after unplugging power cord...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tittles, Dec 7, 2004.

  1. Tittles

    Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

    Messages:
    6,344
    Location:
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Hey I have a computer that I want to sell for some money and everytime I unplug the power cord it loses its bios settings. It dont do this when i turn the computer off and leave the plug in. I changed the battery and it still does it so i aint to sure what it is. I was wondering if changing the power supply would work? I have a new one that has never been used that came from a computer case my friends uncle got. Anybody have any ideas if the power supply wouldnt do anything?
     
  2. fimchick

    fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

    Messages:
    276
    Location:
    Somewhere
    Power supply should not have any effect on it if it's unplugged since the CMOS settings run off the battery. My guess would be that either the replacement battery is bad, or...try unplugging the power cable from the wall socket and then also unplugging the molex connector from the power supply to the mobo. Leave it overnight and then plug it back up to see if the settings stayed. It could be that the power supply is somehow draining the battery. Sounds weird but I've seen stranger things.
     
  3. no it's just the battery is dead get it replaced
     
  4. Tittles

    Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

    Messages:
    6,344
    Location:
    Muskegon, Michigan
    how? the battery works on the other computer just fine. Maybe i shoudl try the battery from my main computer and see if that does anything.
     
  5. Tittles

    Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

    Messages:
    6,344
    Location:
    Muskegon, Michigan
    alright i found out the problem. The dumbass i got the motherboard from (everything on the computer i am selling was free so i aint losing money) didnt have the lil jumper thing on so it would reset everytime. So i found an extra one put that in shut off the computer,took the plug out, left it out for awhile and pluged it back in and bam it works :).