BIOS sees video card, XP doesnt

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by IDLE, Mar 14, 2006.

1. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

ok my hardware was working fine before i reloaded my OS. after reloading the OS everything seemed OK. i installed my mobo drivers and then install my video drivers and nvidia says there is no video card to install drivers for. i look in Comp Mang. and there is nothing there for display adapters.

i look in my bios and it sees it just fine. i even did another reinstall and same thing happened...no video card.

i have a K8N mobo and a 6800 GS OC. i dont have another video card to try this.

how come XP will not see the video card???? please help!!!!!!

2. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

last time i had that issue was a pre SP1,

go in device manager and remove all PCX, PCI and AGP and then reboot and let it detect them. and point it to the inf files from the mobo driver. also go to nvidia.com and download the latest drivers.

hopefully that works.

3. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

its not showing any AGP in device manager and i have DL the latest drivers and it doesnt matter, the OS is not seeing it.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

You could also try re-seating the card. Who knows? We are talking windows. :D

5. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

oh yeah, sorry. forgot to mention that. i did that...twice

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

What about the 'Add New Hardware' feature in the control panel?

7. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

called BFG, after being on hold for 45 minutes and talking to them maybe for 10 minutes we figured out the problem. the version drivers that nvidia uses is not compatible to the GS....of course....once i installed the drivers that came on the CD everything worked fine.

what a pain in the ass. been pulling my hair the last four hours.
    nice one BFG

8. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

It seems odd than a GS wouldnt be supported by the current set of drivers. Were you trying to install the 81.98's ?

9. IDLE

IDLE OSNN Senior Addict

yeah i think so. what ever the latest on Nvidia's site