Binning ME

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bytes Back, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Now, before anyone moans at me I know I've asked this before, but we've all got more experience now so maybe someone knows the answer.

I have a dual boot system with ME on my C drive ( Hard disk 1 ) and XP on D ( Hard disk 2 )

I want to get rid of ME without having to reinstall XP

So my latest theory is...............

Make an image of XP with drive image.

Wipe C

put Image of XP onto C

Run the repair option from xp setup because of no boot sector etc ( was on C )

Will this work ? :confused: :confused:

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Well, if you have these on separate drives. You might want to try unplugging the C:\ drive and running the repair on your D:\ drive. Check out the article I refer to in this thread for help:

http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3149&highlight=ntldr

That should help either way you go. BUT... I don't know for absolute certainty. I, of course, expect a full defriefing after you fry something, lol.

3. Bytes Back

Hmmmm, thanks for the reply, I like the test theory but this of course might trash XP, maybe not so much of a problem because I have the image but I would like to know if anyone has achieved this before I don the battle gear and go in.:)

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

<<<< (waits to 'don' either the throne of genius or the dunce cap). Good luck. ;) :p

5. Bytes Back

Doh !!

I can be thick at times, If I make an image of me and XP then no matter how much I screw them up I can always pu them back. ( still like to know though ! )

6. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

7. Bytes Back

Yeah I noticed that, But I've just thought of another issue, all refereces for installed software will be D not C ( Oh dear :( )

8. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

True. It will be a hassle for a while as you're prompted to change each reference path when you click on a shortcut, but I don't think it will be that big of an issue compared to doing a complete reinstallation, which is of course then next viable solution.

9. Bytes Back

Oh what the hell, I'll try it at the weekend when O have plenty of time , thanks Lonman