Bing uses google search results.

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Johnny, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

2. BouncingSoul

BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

This is HILARIOUS!

Also, am I the only one who noticed that in the Bing "search overload" ads, they are basically making fun of themselves? Seriously, every search engine BUT Google produces the results described in those ads.

3. Johnny

The thing that is funny to me is that Microsoft makes a living out of ripping off other people's ideas. They are neither innovative or creative in anything.

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Matt Cutts (Google employee that protects you from Google spam searches) has been covering this all day, and was on a panel with Bing folks talking about this today. :)

5. Johnny

Bing is getting a lot of flack over this lol.

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I don't put too much into all this.

I have tried almost all the search engines including Yahoo and they all give the same results for words I search on.

So....are ALL search engines using Google?

I highly doubt it.

7. Johnny

My impression was that they were all using Overture?

8. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Well, they will all most likely give you relatively the same results for common search terms. In this instance Google was creating bogus garbage gibberish and Bing was coping it verbatim and giving it similar ranking as Google.

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Interesting. I keep trying new search engines because I hate giving any company a monopoly position but keep going back to google because I get much better hits.

10. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Yahoo is powered by Bing... so yes you will see the same results :p

11. Johnny

Of course the searches on bing and yahoo! would be similar - Yahoo and Microsoft partnered up -> Yahoo, Microsoft Partnership Cleared

They seem to be searching google at the same time and adding them to the results as well.

12. American Zombie

13. Johnny

How many of those use overture?

14. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I'm going to to take a swing at explainig this, pure speculation, no inside information;

I suspect all search engines use some logarithim that takes into account the results of other search engines

the fact that google is the most pervasive would make that same logarithim bring google results to the front

I am saying my guess is that google does the same thing but useage stats would still bring their own results before the other search engines even if all three were using exactly the same perameters, technology and software for their search

this looks like a cute google set-up which they themselves would fail given the same perameters the other search engines face

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  15. American Zombie

16. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

they do, and google uses all other search engine data just the same

microsoft just said pretty much what I speculated, they didn't admit to anything that other companies don't also do, don't forget, that information is in the public domain, notice the bold here, that pretty much exposes google's claim as rediculous

proving microsoft does not use public domain google data for much, however all search engines would be designed to consider other search engines results;

I would take any bet and lay odds that google uses packets from the other search engines as well, it would be incompetent to not

look, I use google not bing and I have no dog in this discussion but google is just pulling a stunt

I am saying that google would fail the same test they claim the other search engines are failing

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011