BETA TEST: Active Desktop Tutorial

changes made to tutorial..

When I click on the program launch, I get an IE page javascript:void(0). Unable to display page.

okay, I had that problem to (when I first started). I thought it would work.

try changing your A HREF to this:

PHP:
<a onClick="exec('sol.vbs'); return false;" href="java script:window.close()">Launch Solitare</a>

no clue why XP interupts it as such. the above will work.

calendar.js, reads the date from your computer.

Hmmm, not working with a black background I guess. I have the calendar. The borders are in white and the month is in white but the dates are not there or not showing.

okay. you need to expand on your BODY tag to get it to work. insert this body tag in place of the current one.

PHP:
<BODY BGCOLOR="#000000" text="#FFFFFF" link="#FFFFFF" vlink="#FFFFFF" alink="#FFFFFF">

just make the changes you'd like.

That did it. Duh me. It's been a couple of years since I did much html. I need to refresh myself. My matt_top is coming along nicely. When I get at least most of it just the way I want it, I'll post a screenie. :)

I better see some screens.

OK, the quicklaunch I made is still not working. It needs to be a shortcut of the .exe that the .vbs points to right? I am trying to add a quicklaunch for Counterstrike. I made a shortcut to it in the same directory as the .vbs

It looks like this:
Dim oShell
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject ("WScript.shell")
oShell.run "cstrike"
Set oShell = Nothing

and in the active desktop.html I have:
<a onClick="exec('cstrike.vbs'); return false;"

href="javascript:window.close()">Launch Counterstrike</a>

which I notice has a couple of spaces between false;" and href=
I removed the spaces and still no go. I also tried right click open. No go.

And the shortcut is named cstrike. What am I missing?

you should have one space between the false"; and "href"

does it return an error? what does it do when you click the link?

It does nothing. And there were 2 spaces I thought. I will recheck.

Well, there should be one. vBulletin adds spaces for some reason.

When you double click the shortcut to CS in C:\WINDOWS does it launch CS?

Yes it does. I made sure there was one space, no go. I will redo it as I may have goofed somewhere.

Matt...I wish I had time to play with this...I only get an hour or so a day on the box...when I get back to n.y. I'll have some fun.

it looks like great work, and definately stuff I want to learn...thanx

Posted by madmatt
I suck =\
No, you're NEAT! I added another quicklaunch and that one isn't working either. The rest of it is coming along nicely. :)

I will call this, "madmatt's tweak!" =]
Thanks perris.

Casey, do this.

Right click on the icon that you use to launch CS. Is there something funky about the command line? Maybe a /s or something following the path to/exe?

Try this. Copy THAT shortcut that you use to run CS, and then paste a copy of it in C:\WINDOWS

You won't have to recreate the VBS file, just rename the shortcut to match. Get it? Try that.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back