best way to use 2x 500gb hdd

Yea I am running out of space on my 500GB as well, the day where we all have 2000TB drives, and videos are 20GB downloads, and games are in sizes of 50GB and above, OH GOD!!!!!

so its agreed then - gstripe the buggers and add geom_stripe_load="YES" to loader.conf

/dev/stripe/1TB 902G 4.0K 830G 0% /store - nothing has been uploaded to it yet, i thought you said i wouldn't loose anything X ?

How big are the drives actually? Not what the drive manufacturer says?

8% of the drive space is reserved by the system and cannot be written to, this is done so that it can on the fly defrag it, and keep all the files contiguous.

If you are using FreeBSD 7.0, give zfs a try.

zpool create tank ad4 ad6

zpool create tank/storage

It should now be mounted and ready for use. This is a dynamic stripe, so if later on you get another hard drive, you can do:

zpool add tank ad8

And now zfs will automatically make tank bigger, which also makes /tank/storage bigger.

There is a similar tool in Ubuntu that does that. I think it might have a UI as well to it which makes things easy, which is how I like it lol

How big are the drives actually? Not what the drive manufacturer says?

8% of the drive space is reserved by the system and cannot be written to, this is done so that it can on the fly defrag it, and keep all the files contiguous.

If you are using FreeBSD 7.0, give zfs a try.

zpool create tank ad4 ad6

It should now be mounted and ready for use. This is a dynamic stripe, so if later on you get another hard drive, you can do:

zpool add tank ad8

And now zfs will automatically make tank bigger, which also makes /tank/storage bigger.

seagate says 500 - but when i formated them as single drives they gave me 465GB - as i am fully aware of the descrepency between what the manufactors say and how most file systems measure (1*1000 / 1*1024)

even so, my maths sucking balls 2x465 should = more than 900gb.

where you have put tank/storage - can that be put as anything, say for example if i wanted it to be the site dir under /glftpd/site ?

and doesnt zfs require a kernel module to be built - no biggie to rebuild a kernel under bsd - less steps than on linux :p

No, you can dynamically load the module like you did for gstripe. Also, if you are going to try ZFS, you will want to do it under a 64 bit system.

Yes, it will be 930 GB. Minus 8% or so is about 855 GB, so 830 GB is not that bad at all.

You use:

zfs set mountpoint=/glftpd tank/storage

And it will mount tank/storage in /glftpd.

right - and seeing as glftpd crashes under 64bit - i'll have to use something else :p

my-serv# echo 'zfs_load="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
my-serv# echo 'zfs_enable="YES"' >> /etc/rc.conf

my-serv# zpool create tank ad6 ad8
my-serv# zpool create tank/storage
missing vdev specification
usage:
create [-fn] [-R root] [-m mountpoint] <pool> <vdev> ...

vdev ?

dont help i have just seen the message that zfs is experimental in freebsd - when booting the pc up !!!!!!

tank 913G 0B 913G 0% /glftpd/site - looks like its working

seems you just have to do the first command

Last edited:
ZFS support is experimental, but what is considered experimental in FreeBSD is known as release in other OS's.

There are several big companies using ZFS on FreeBSD already, one of them has a 40 TB NAS set up using FreeBSD and ZFS.

ok i'll crap myself in silience and use it - and how you mount a zfs file system in the fstab ?

/dev/tank /folder zfs rw 2 2

or is there some ass about face way of doing it ?

in saying that i cant see any dev called tank nor the dsk folder they say should be there

You don't. It is mounted automatically when ZFS is loaded and the data is read from the disks.

ok so how do i load the zfs on boot because atm i am having to do
zfs set mountpoint=/store tank , because the ftp prog is moaning that it cant start as it cant see the home dir, once i mount the drive i can start the ftp server manually, although thats a pain to do

The set mountpoint is supposed to be done automatically. Just adding ZFS to the loader and to rc.conf should do the trick.

This is just from reading online. I have not yet had the pleasure of working with ZFS yet.

well i can tell you it doesn't do it - maybe i have done something incorrect - you never know, and btw 930gb is what it gives me - 913gb is what it allows me to use, which i can live with

there is a device called zfs in /dev

Last edited:
i think i know why - but am having other issues so it will have to wait

my-serv# zpool create tank ad6 ad8
my-serv# zpool create tank/storage
missing vdev specification
usage:
create [-fn] [-R root] [-m mountpoint] <pool> <vdev> ...

vdev ?
=======================================================
think it needs to be
zpool create tank storage (or raidz*) ad6 ad8
zfs create tank/storage (or what ever mount point you want)

* is what near all guides say to use - even if you arent using raid

and then
zfs set mountpoint=/storage tank/storage

which wasnt far out from the

zpool create tank ad6 ad8

you told me the other day

edit: http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFS - was reading that this morn :)

Last edited:
after a lot of googling im back to where i started - if i follow your instructions and the instructions on all the sites i keep getting an error about /dev/storage news to be a geom device, and if i do it the way i have done it before i have to manually mount the drive when i reboot

edit: after a few other issues, with programs not wanting to work on 64bit freebsd, im going to drop it to 32bit, seeing as zfs is not an option on 32bit how would you arrange the drives ?

Last edited:
ZFS is the same as any other file system in that regard. Samba does not care what the underlying file system is as long as it can read and write to it using the standard read/write commands.

Also, YOU need to figure out how you want to mix and match the two drives, ultimately it is you who will be moving data back and forth on them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back