Best Top Video Card Suggestion

N

Not Bman

So I am getting a new monitor as most of you know. The one other thing I really want and need is an updated Videocard. Now I want and will be getting the best I can get.

Currently I have the 8800GT 512MB card. Originally when I was planning on getting a new card (never did) I wanted the GTX280 1GB card, but then heard about the 4870X2 2GB card from ATI. Which I still believe is the one I want.

I just want to get your guys ideas and suggestions, is there anything coming out soon just as good or better, maybe close and a better price...etc...

Thanks.

Wow $630CAD for that card, thought it was cheaper then that. The 295 is the card that is suppose to beat the 4870X2 in a single gpu, well not beat, but you know.

What is the best choice for around $500 I assume another one of the 200's...

i'll second the notion of the GTX 295. and from what i've seen, it DOES beat the 4870X2. Just sucks that the price has gone up a bit from when i purchased it when it first came out. Usually the opposite happens. Think i got mine for like $509-ish USD. And not only that.... but.....

IMG_0933.jpg

it's a BEAST!!!

Nice setup, I need a new case if i get this xard, I still want a cosmos!

yeah.... i like my Cosmos. In a way i kinda prefer it over the Cosmos S, but in a way i don't. Mostly like the Cosmos S because it's easier to install a radiator in the top of the case should one decide to go that route. the standard Cosmos's dual 120mm or dual 140mm top fan solution doesn't really give you a lot of options outside of cutting up the case a bit.

well..... i think pushing cold air IN would be the better alternative, don'tcha think? lol

The bottom intake fan does quite a bit of that.... assuming there actually IS cold air for it to pull in. Noctua NF-P12's rock. Should really buy one for my CPU heatsink or somethin. sucks that summer is rolling up really quick.

Is the Cosmos case, or Cosmos S case have the PSU at the bottom, or is it a choice? I always liked the idea of it at the bottom, but have never had one like that.

both the Cosmos and Cosmos S are bottom-mounted PSU only. The only downside with the Cosmos is that they have a bit of a design flaw which kinda limits how one can route wires behind the motherboard tray.

There are a few things to consider.

1. NVIDIA does not support DirectX 10.1 and won't until their DirectX 11 cards come out.
  2. DirectX 11 support for both NVIDIA and ATI cards is slated for Q4 of 2009.
  3. Neither NVIDIA or ATI will be releasing anything spectacular until they release their DirectX 11 40 nm cards. In the meantime I expect the gaming cards to be modifications to their current technologies. ATI's 4890 is basically an optimized 4870 with higher clock speeds, more memory, and a better cooling solution. NVIDIA is going with a few options including a single PCB dual-GPU solution.

At this point I would either wait until Q4 and get a DirectX 11 card with the new technologies and smaller manufacturing or stick with one of the ATI or NVIDIA cards that has been out for a bit so the price has dropped. It really isn't that long until we reach Q4 of the year.

I grabbed the GTX 260 216 core edition. They just brought out a full 240 core edition, but with less memory bandwidth then the 280 still.

ATI has an annoying shader bug as well. A few of my games have water effects and the ATI shader bug mirrors the game world upside down in the water.

I have had the 8800GT since it came out, maybe bought it a month old. So video cards do last longer then some think, in terms of being able to play current games. I really need an update now though, exactly when is Q4 of 2009, the end of 2009? Hmm that might be too long to wait.

Quick side question (dont want to start another thread)

*I have 8GB of RAM, 3Ghz Quad Core and 2 1TB drives...when I am extracting 1 or more files, moving large files, everything else, even just opening up a window seems like I am running less then 1g of ram and like 1Ghz single core, why is that and how do I speed that up?

how long since u've formatted?

btw.. are u sure u need a new gpu? the 8800GT is pretty great (why u think nvidia keeps renaming it?) and there aren't many new ones that kick its ass all around, specially without spending 600$

what games are you having problems with?

To be honest, there aren't that many games having issue running full specs. But there are some, and I am picky. And I only run at 1680x1060, i will be doing 1920x1080 soon. I have not formatted since 7000 came out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back