best setup for wireless and wired router?

J

jkoXP

Right now I have the SMC 8 port barricade router... has the built in printer and com port for my ext modem..

but some of the laptops users want to have wireless access also..

i do not want to get rid of my 'wired' router...

but, if i got an access point, and have uplink to the access point would that work? and if so, which access point should i get?

An access point should work fine. Make sure you get the same brand as the wireless cards if possible. It's easier to make it work and work well that way.

I think most access points have an uplink port, mine recomends using the uplink port to program it on a 'secured' wireless network.

I'm using 802.11b at home, three computer have wireless cards, and the fourth has a nic that is connected to an access point and all computer can communicate.

ok, so can i use the uplink port from my 'wired' router to uplink to the wired port to my access point? and have the wireless users access the network and what not?

great,,, now i just gotta decide between 802.11a or .11b

thanks for the help..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back