Best Performance Upgrade Ever

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Perris Calderon, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

I don't keep up with hardware, or software for that matter, everything just works better and I don't have to improve much

BUT

I had to replace the hardrive on my laptop, switched to an ssd drive, they're pretty cheap now, I got half terabyte for 100 bux.,

OMG! I can't believe how much faster this box is, it cold boots faster then it used to wake from sleep, it's really incredible, the only time I even want to sleep rather then shut down now is if I don't want to save the windows I have open.

I don't care what you have on your hard drive, of if you need a bigger hardrive, do whatever you can to switch over to sd, the performance difference is profound

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2016
  2. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I think you mean SSD drive.

Ya I get over 400 Megabytes a second read/write.

as-ssd-bench MKNSSDRE 512GB S 10.9.2016 10-10-42 AM.png

3. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Yep read/write speeds for SSD are great but most places still recommend using a traditional drive for storing stuff as they are still a bit cheaper per byte then an SSD of a comparative size.

4. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I have a hard drive dock that allows me to swap in/out hard drives like people used to do with floppies.

The dock fits into one of my CD/DVD bays and also has a eSATA port.

I make system images on at least two different drives so I have two "the same" copies of my system but on different drives.

If one drive fails I still have another good backup.

I then have other drives I swap in for file backups.

Way faster speeds then USB drives.

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=2076&pid=147&lan=ec

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

ya, I meant ssd, man, so cheap now too, I spent less then 100 bux for half terabyte, it's crazy. interesting thing, I've been out of touch with computers for so long, I didn't even know they were available at decent prices till I had to go online to see how I can replace my hardrive. gawd, worth it even if your hardrive is sound, this computer is faster then a new one if that new box still has a mechanical drive

I suspect mechanical drives are probably more expensive producing, companies are just recovering their r and d so prices are still high but mechanical drives I think go wayside soon enough

swappable hardrives should have been standard on computers long ago, would be so much easier backing up, keeping your box clean, etc.