Best mobo outa these

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Syrus, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Syrus

Syrus OSNN Addict

Hi
    Im looking for a new motherboard for my P4 its 2.8ghz and has a 800mhz fsb and ive listed some motherboards below tell me which you think is the best.

Abit BH7-E £56quid
    Abit IS7-V £61quid
    GigaByte GA-8IPE1000 £65quid
    MSI PT8 neo series £54.50
    Intel D865Perl £74.43

my budget is 75quid and if theres any other boards for that price that you recommend then let me know it must support an 800mhz fsb p4 and i don't want it as Dual DDR.

Thanks
    Dan

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Afaik the Abit BH7 doesn't have FSB800, only FSB533. I'd take the Abit IS7, it's gotten very good marks in tests (not sure about -V though).

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

the IS7 has the ICH5-R RAID southbridge with s-ata raid capability and firewire. the IS7-E just has the regular ICH5 southridge with no raid or firewire. i don't notice any other difference.

if you don't need raid or firewire, go for the IS7-E. the IS7 series are great boards.

4. Zedric

Yeah, but he listed IS7-V, not IS7-E. Though I would take the IS7 or IS7-E, better chipset. Can't be much more expensive can it? And it's not like Dual Channel will be a problem. You can still run single channel.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

oops! :eek:

IS7-V is an 848 chipset, huh? never heard of it. it looks like just a single channel version of the 865 (correct?). it's about $20 cheaper than the -E so i guess it could be a better decision if you're really never going to use dual channel. but most people would pay a little more just for the possibility that they may use it someday.

6. Syrus

Syrus OSNN Addict

they are s-ata unfortinatly

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

what's wrong with that? it's a native part of the ich5 southbridge. just disable it in the bios and use the parallel channels.

8. Zedric

So? Just because a board has more features than you're using right now doesn't mean that you can easily find a board without the features cheaper, or even that a board without the features even would be cheaper due to production volumes and such.

Now stop whining and just buy the board! :p You'll be happy with it. :)