best linux

FishBoy

Feeeesh
what is the best linux, let's call it company, available? like SuSE RedHat Mandrake... these are the ones i know

There are a few hundred distributions out there. There is no best distribution, it all depends on your use. Many people will prefer Mandraeke, Fedora, Ubuntu for the complete lack of prior experience needed, some like Gentoo or Slackware for the customisability, some like SuSe or Gentoo for their package management, there are varying reasons as to why you can like one ditro over another, so at the end of the day, it's just a personal preference :)

Here's a list of most of the linux distro's out there: AbulÉdu, Adamantix, ADIOS, AGNULA, AL-AMLUG, ALT, Amber, Ankur Bangla, Annvix, ANTEMIUM, APODIO, Arabbix, Arch, Ark, Asianux, ASLinux, ASPLinux, Astaro, Athene, Auditor, Aurora, Aurox, AUSTRUMI, Ayrsoft, B2D, Bayanihan, BeatrIX, Berry, BIG LINUX, BioBrew, Bioknoppix, blackPanther, BLAG, Blin, Buffalo, Burapha, ByzantineOS, Caixa Mágica, cAos, CCux, CDlinux, Censornet, CentOS, ClarkConnect, CLE, Clusterix, clusterKNOPPIX, Co-Create, Cobind, Condorux, Conectiva, Cosix, CRUX, Càtix, Damn Small, Danix, DARKSTAR, DeadCD, Debian, DebXPde, Deep-Water, Defender, DeLi, Devil, Dizinha, DNALinux, DragonFly, dyne:bolic, Eadem, eduKnoppix, EduLinux, eLearnix, ELX, EnGarde, ERPOSS, ESware, Euronode, Evinux, EzPlanet One, FAMELIX, Feather, Fedora, Fermi, Flash, Flonix, FoRK, FoX, FreeBSD, Freedows, Freeduc-Sup, Freeduc, FreeSBIE, Frugalware, FTOSX, GeeXboX, Gelecek, Gentoox, Gentoo, GEOLivre, Gibraltar, GNIX, Gnoppix, gNOX, gnuLinEx, GNUstep, GobLinX, GoboLinux, grml, Guadalinex, GuLIC-BSD, Haansoft, Hakin9, Hancom, Helix, Hikarunix, Hiweed, HKLPG, Holon, iBox, IDMS, Ignalum, Impi, IndLinux, INSERT, IPCop, JoLinux, Jollix, Julex, K-DEMar, K12LTSP, Kaella, Kalango, KANOTIX, Kinneret, Kate, kmLinux, knopILS, Knoppel, Knopperdisk, Knoppix 64, Knoppix STD, KnoppiXMAME, KNOPPIX, KnoppMyth, KnoSciences, KRUD, Kurumin, L.A.S, LAMPPIX, LBA-Linux, LFS, Libranet, LIIS, Linare, Lineox, LinEspa, Linpus, Linspire, LINUXO, Linux+ Live, Linux4all, LinuxConsole, LinuxTLE, Litrix, LiveCD Router, LiVux, LLGP, LNX-BBC, Loco, Lormalinux, Luit, Lunar, Lycoris, m0n0wall, Magic, Mandows, Mandrakelinux, MAX, MCNLive, Media Lab, Mediainlinux, MEPIS, Minislack, Miracle, MirOS, Mockup, MoLinux, Momonga, Monoppix, Morphix, MoviX, Munjoy, Murix, Mutagenix, Nasgaïa, Nature's, Navyn OS, NetBSD, Netwosix, Nitix, Novell, NuxOne, O-Net, Octoz, Omoikane, Onebase, OpenBSD, OpenLab, OpenNA, Openwall, Oralux, Overclockix, P!tux, PaiPix, ParallelKnoppix, Pardus, Parsix, PCLinuxOS, Peanut, Penguin Sleuth, Pequelin, Phayoune, PHLAK, PHP Sol, Pie Box, Pilot, Plamo, PLD, Progeny, Project dEv, Puppy, QiLinux, Quantian, Rays, Red Flag, Red Hat, redWall, Resala, RIP, Rocks Cluster, ROCK, ROOT, ROSLIMS, Rubyx, RUNT, Salvare, SAM, Santa Fe, Scientific, Securepoint, Sentry Firewall, Shabdix, Skolelinux, Slackware, SLAX, Slix, Slo-Tech, SME Server, SmoothWall, SoL, Solaris, Sorcerer, Source Mage, Specifix, SphinxOS, StartCom, stresslinux, STUX, SuliX, Sun JDS, SUSE, SystemRescue, T2, Tablix, Tao, TA, Tilix, tinysofa, TPM, TrianceOS, Trustix, TupiServer, Turbolinux, Turkix, Ubuntu, UHU-Linux, UserLinux, Ututo, Vector, Vidalinux, Vine, vnlinuxCD, White Box, WHoppix, WOMP!, WOW, X-evian, X/OS, Xandros, Xarnoppix, Xfld, Xteam, Yellow Dog, YES, Yoper, ZerahStar, Zen, ZoneCD

:)

now sort that list and put the bsd in a seperate one :p

DragonFly, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Darwin, FreeSBIE, m0n0wall :D

Also cAos is now CentOS.

Argh, didn't notice BSD's in there. Copy and pasted from Distro watch. My bad.

64. Using 32Bit would seem a bit pointless, no?

no, I'm using 32 bit xp.

I think till apps and dlls are developed for a 64 os, 32 might be the way to go, although in the 64 xp, 32 apps work

Of course you're using 32Bit Windows. 64Bit XP isn't fully finished yet, so there'd be no point. Linux is further ahead though, there's some stable 64Bit builds out there.

bearing in mind that linux is a rip of an operating system called minix, which was written to assist in teaching people about operating systems, I would say that there is no good linux distro, but thats me ;) :p

SPeedY_B said:
Argh, didn't notice BSD's in there. Copy and pasted from Distro watch. My bad.
they are in there, but they should be separated cause they are better :D

Geffy said:
bearing in mind that linux is a rip of an operating system called minix, which was written to assist in teaching people about operating systems, I would say that there is no good linux distro, but thats me ;) :p

I don't think this is fair geffy, linux is a project of open source, not a rip off to make money.

I didnt say it was a rip off, I just dont feel that its ready to be classed as an operating system yet, it has progressed in leaps and bounds I will admit that, and it certainly has some of the qualities of an operating system, but I dont think its there yet. It is still at its heart an educational project, it has its place, and thats in labs teaching people how operating systems work.

Geffy said:
I didnt say it was a rip off, I just dont feel that its ready to be classed as an operating system yet, it has progressed in leaps and bounds I will admit that, and it certainly has some of the qualities of an operating system, but I dont think its there yet. It is still at its heart an educational project, it has its place, and thats in labs teaching people how operating systems work.
ah, I read rip off when you actually said "rip of"

bad dealer, bad

haha Speedy nice long list how did you memorize all of those?? or did you google them? :D

FreeBSD and Linux are very similar right except freebsd there are a few extra options?

Considering the a lot of BSD apps is "ripped" was originally only available on Linux platforms, what does that say about BSD? What can BSD that Linux can't? What makes BSD more of an OS than Linux? Linux is merely the kernel ... but Linux is one kernel. With all the flak being thrown by NetBSD and FreeBSD at each other ... which BSD is better than Linux?

FishBoy said:
FreeBSD and Linux are very similar right except freebsd there are a few extra options?
No, they are just different. They've been developed separately. Linux comes (originally) from Linus Thorvalds and BSD is from Berkley University (right?).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back